Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if I don't even activate a card?

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

What if I don't even activate a card?

Hi again

I have recently got / apped for 2 cards that are probably going to be totally useless to me - one with just $1100 CL and one with a $5000 CL - but no interest free introductory period.

Obviously, I have taken hard hits on these - but what if i don't even activate them?   I don't want potential new lenders to look at my stuff and think that I have "too much" credit available to me - it may be a negative because the "potential" is there to get into deep debt?

I will be sock drawing 3 others - probably just need to buy gas with them every 3-4 months or so to keep them alive?

My oldest tradeline is cap1 - which is one of the ones that I don't want anymore, i have only had it 19 months, but read that it stays on your file for 10 years even if you close it?  not sure what my plan is at the moment lol

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: What if I don't even activate a card?

it probably will still report if you dont activate it, I belive once you apply there is no going back

Message 2 of 7
twall06
Frequent Contributor

My okdest acct is a us bank card I applied for when I was 18 didn't realize it had a fee so I never activated it .
It shows on my report as my oldest acct even though it shows it was never activated.
Message 3 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

As long as you applied and got approved for it, it will report.

If you don't want the account, talk to that bank and see if they are willing to close the account and remove it from your CR entirely. My experience with chase was that they were okay with removing new accounts opened within the past 30 days. However you will still be stuck with the inquiry
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 7
coolerscouter

@enharu wrote:
As long as you applied and got approved for it, it will report.

+1

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@john398 wrote:

it probably will still report if you dont activate it, I belive once you apply there is no going back

+1

OP - what was the reasoning for acquiring those TLs if credit card app "remorse" was going to be the end result?  In very rare instances do some lenders tend to remove TLs from your CR - unless it was a mistake on their end.

Message 6 of 7
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Hi - not so much "remorse" - but had to app before i found out i only got a $1100 cl - and with US Bank, it didnt even cross my mind that there would be no 0% intro. I am loving my Simplicity & Freedom cards and perfectly happy to keep those Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.