Moderator Emeritus

Re: What if I told you that DISCOVER...

What if I told you that your title drives me insane?! Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Superman85 wrote:

I called Discover and they told me that they will report it but it would show as just being an AU able to spend on the account, so it wouldn’t help their credit. Anyone have some experience with this?

No experience needed.  Being an AU helps when the account is in good shape (low utilization, clean payment history, long AAoA, etc) and the creditor that one is applying to considers accounts where the applicant is an AU.  Not all do so for those creditors being an AU will provide no benefit.

Message 12 of 14
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
What if I told you that your title drives me insane?! Smiley Wink

+1 lol

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 13 of 14
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

For credit cards I would think any automated approval will increase the chance for approval under AU.  Under manual review it will be easy to identify AU accounts from Joint/primary accounts. 

However, as mentioned several times already the minimum benefit will be the increase in credit history which in turns increases AAoA.  And that accounts for up to 15% of total scores. 

On the flip side, I do know from experience that many mortgage companies..closer  to ALL these days will not include AU as qualifying TLs for approval.  A  lady I know was in the market for a home mortgage about a year ago.  She was short about 20 FICO points in order to qualify for FHA financing.  She went as a far as to ask a friend to add her as AU on several TLs.  The TLs were reported on all three bureaus and her scores increased on all three FICO scores on MYFICO.com.

Unfortunately it did not increase a single point on the mortgage FICO scores that were used.  The UW scoring model perhaps for FHA financing and also fannie mae/freddie mac looked at AU accts as non existent TLs.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.