cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What impact will the new Chase guidelines have on your plans?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

What impact will the new Chase guidelines have on your plans?

Since it seems Chase has heavily restricted the ability to get new cards I started to think about how that impacts my future plans for credit. I had hoped to pick up the ink plus when a good bonus popped up this summer, but given my new accounts and that the card is not co-branded it appears as if it will be a denial. This reduces my incentive to stay in the garden and now I am looking at other lenders as possibilities of picking up a card or two now. How about you all? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What impact will the new Chase guidelines have on your plans?

No impact. I got the one and only Chase card I wanted.

Message 2 of 31
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I think i am missing something, can someone link me the thread? I tried searching but not sure what to search :/
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Since it seems Chase has heavily restricted the ability to get new cards I started to think about how that impacts my future plans for credit. I had hoped to pick up the ink plus when a good bonus popped up this summer, but given my new accounts and that the card is not co-branded it appears as if it will be a denial. This reduces my incentive to stay in the garden and now I am looking at other lenders as possibilities of picking up a card or two now. How about you all? 

What have I missed here?  Link?

Message 4 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

What have I missed here?  Link?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/New-Chase-Recon-Policy/td-p/4050342

;
Message 5 of 31
EdMan63
Established Contributor

No impact. I only have 4 credit cards, 2 of which I got this year. One was the Freedom which I got in Feb. I want to get a CSP in Sept before a business trip in Oct which will help with the bonus spend. Those 2 credit cards I got were the first cards in several years so "too many cards" would not be my excuse. Hopefully my 6 year old paid CO will not stand in the way. It didn't when I got the Freedom which to date has been paid perfectly.

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's not state this as if we have definitive proof that there is a 'new' policy because we don't. Yes there have been posters state that they were told this but others have been approved with more new accounts that what is supposedly allowed under the new rule.  Every creditor will use the 'you have too many new accounts open' justification if they see that as an issue in your profile.  It's just one thing that they look at and I don't believe that Chase has a new policy that they won't approve you for a new card if you've opened more than 5 accounts in a 2 year period.  

Message 7 of 31
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Well since i have their big 3 cards that are not co-branded this will not personally affect me. However i am considering going for a co-brand card for the bonus and then moving the limit later to one of my cards since they are tough with increases, but thats currently not a issue from my understanding. I just think 1 card for every 2 years is a bit harsh. I wonder if they just mainly want to see some history with them first?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 8 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's not state this as if we have definitive proof that there is a 'new' policy because we don't. Yes there have been posters state that they were told this but others have been approved with more new accounts that what is supposedly allowed under the new rule.  Every creditor will use the 'you have too many new accounts open' justification if they see that as an issue in your profile.  It's just one thing that they look at and I don't believe that Chase has a new policy that they won't approve you for a new card if you've opened more than 5 accounts in a 2 year period.  

Wait. I am seeing this Chase stuff on multiple boards and websites, so it is well beyond just these forumns. Do we have people with five or more new accounts in the last two years who were approved for a chase card that is not co-branded? Were those new accounts showing at time of Chase app? If so, please link to that post because I have seen a ton of people posting about denials for that very reason and if there is evidence out there the other way then that would be very relevant to my future chase app. 

;
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not precisely what is being speculated about. The actual is that Chase will not overturn a denial on recon if the specific reason for that denial was too many accounts in the last two years.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.