Valued Contributor

What is Emblem Credit Card?

What kind of credit card is this?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is Emblem Credit Card?

Looks like it is a mastercard of some sort... the website looks terrible. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Looks like it is a company that buys your debt, then issues you a CC with the debt owed on it. They initiate the contact. There are fees. Unusual site. Unusual program.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 3 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Seems like it may be a legit offer based on what I'm reading, they make you start paying off your debt, then they issue you a mastercard with the remaining debt as a balance owed on the CC. Then you can use the CC after the debt has been paid... its a bit fishy, I wouldn't really trust a debt collector with a CC

FICO 9:

Message 4 of 9
Scope27
Regular Contributor

I was offered this program last year and was sceptic about it. I called requested written verification on it and decided to give it a go. I paid my debt of 215 and was issued the card a few weeks later for 200 bucks. It doesn't grow or anything but it was something I needed to begin rebuilding my credit history. After 6 months of slight useage and paying it in full my score jumped from a 515 to a 580. This card has no annual fees or monthly fees. It's a no grow rebuilder imo. I then app'd for a Bank of America secured card and was initially denied. On recon the credit analysist reviewed my useage on this card and approved me after seeing how hard I worked within that period to pay all my owed debts and worked to establish more credit. Honestly without this card my score wouldnt be 135 points higher now and I wouldn't have had the boost I needed to be able to secure a mortgage loan and several other unsecured cards. If you are in the same position as I was then give it a go. But request details in writing first and give them a call. The rep I spoke with was kind and answered all my questions. That card is now sock drawered and it does report on all three bureaus and there's no hard pull for it.
Message 5 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Scope27 wrote:
I was offered this program last year and was sceptic about it. I called requested written verification on it and decided to give it a go. I paid my debt of 215 and was issued the card a few weeks later for 200 bucks. It doesn't grow or anything but it was something I needed to begin rebuilding my credit history. After 6 months of slight useage and paying it in full my score jumped from a 515 to a 580. This card has no annual fees or monthly fees. It's a no grow rebuilder imo. I then app'd for a Bank of America secured card and was initially denied. On recon the credit analysist reviewed my useage on this card and approved me after seeing how hard I worked within that period to pay all my owed debts and worked to establish more credit. Honestly without this card my score wouldnt be 135 points higher now and I wouldn't have had the boost I needed to be able to secure a mortgage loan and several other unsecured cards. If you are in the same position as I was then give it a go. But request details in writing first and give them a call. The rep I spoke with was kind and answered all my questions. That card is now sock drawered and it does report on all three bureaus and there's no hard pull for it.

Glad to hear that someone had a good experience with it... If there are no annual fees that would be good for someone who is rebuilding... Also, did they remove the original collection from your CR?

FICO 9:

Message 6 of 9
720ismygoal
Regular Contributor

I been having this card since August of 2011. i paid off my debt and now i habe a $325 limit. i havent received any CLI's since and i've been using the card to its maximum and PIF every month. i call customer service and they told me that they review the accounts after one year, so we will see what the outcome will be in August. they did delete the colletions of my report and now this card reports to all three credit beuraes. hope that helps.

Old Navy: AU $600----------------Walmart(store card): $900 & FICO: 680
Sears Mastercard: AU $300-----TU: FICO 652 April/2012
Emblemcard: $325------------------EQ: FICO 668 April/2012
Discover: $1,000-FICO 695 4/25/12---------Bringing home Amex in 2013!
Cap1: $750 Gardening mode until April 2013
Cap1: $500

Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@720ismygoal wrote:

I been having this card since August of 2011. i paid off my debt and now i habe a $325 limit. i havent received any CLI's since and i've been using the card to its maximum and PIF every month. i call customer service and they told me that they review the accounts after one year, so we will see what the outcome will be in August. they did delete the colletions of my report and now this card reports to all three credit beuraes. hope that helps.

This feature could be valuable if it's standard practice...

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 9
Scope27
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Glad to hear that someone had a good experience with it... If there are no annual fees that would be good for someone who is rebuilding... Also, did they remove the original collection from your CR?

I never had them report a collection so IDK if they had but as soon as they aquired my debt I enrolled in the program.  As another poster mentioned they removed the collection so I guess you do have to ask.  First Premier did change my status from charge-off to payment after charge-off once I paid it down.  But that came from a dispute because they were still reporting a balance once I paid Jefferson Capital (which enrolled me in the emblem program).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.