Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a Royal Flush to You?

tag
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

What is a Royal Flush to You?

Reading through some the threads got me thinking....

What would a royal flush look like in credit card terminology/CC universe? 

The question on what cards are the most valuable, give the most prestige, or are the best prime cards has been discussed time and time again.  But like a good old debate on who's the better quarterback (of all time), having another campfire debate never hurts.

So. What is a royal flush to you? What hand of credit cards are your Jack of all trades, your Aces, your Queens and Kings?

Let me begin. My hand shows Amex Platinum, JP Morgan Ritz, Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC, Amex BCP and Amex EDP, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and forgive me if I do not have enough cards in my hand or hold too much. Just having fun and dreaming of when all my CC goals are someday complete.

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is a Royal Flush to You?

I'll play lol

Ace: Chase Sapphire preferred 

King: Amex Platinum 

Queen: Amex BCE

Jack of all trades : Quicksilver VS 

I think I'm short a card for a royal flush, these are my rankings with the jack of all trades being my do it all general spending. 

Message 2 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm -- Citi Double, Amex Plat, Prestige, Ring, Discover

Message 3 of 56
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll play lol

Ace: Chase Sapphire preferred 

King: Amex Platinum 

Queen: Amex BCE

Jack of all trades : Quicksilver VS 

I think I'm short a card for a royal flush, these are my rankings with the jack of all trades being my do it all general spending. 

I like this but the citi doublecash would be my jack.  I also use the PRG over the platinum. 

Message 4 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ace: Citi Forward with 5x points at restaurants 

King: Double Cash/JCB Marukai (or Barclays Wyndham Visa if you stay at Wyndham hotels - all three cards are excellent for general spending).

Queen: Sallie Mae MasterCard

Jack: U.S. Bank Cash+

10: Sam's Club MasterCard/SSFCU Power Travel Rewards WMC for travel

Message 5 of 56
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Doesn't mean a thing to me -- my wallet isn't a poker hand --  but enjoy the discussion.

@ForumPheen wrote:

The question on what cards are the most valuable, give the most prestige, or are the best prime cards has been discussed time and time again.

Of course -- these are highly subjective matters and about the individual, not just the cards themselves.  That said, prestige doesn't come from a card or buying a product.  Prime is relevant to the borrower, not the card, depsite how it is commonly used.

Message 6 of 56
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I guess my royle flush would be diversity..

Amex, Barclay, CapOne, Chase, Discover.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 7 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amtrak WMC, as points are worth almost 3 cents each. When paying for a ticket with the card you get (3+2)5 points per dollar spent, so not a bad deal.  For hotels you get 2 points per dollar so in essence 6 percent.

Chase Ink/Freedom/CSP combo (flexibility/portal discount)

Citi Forward/Citi Premier/Prestige combo especially to delve into American Airlines

Having multiple BOA BBR's w/ savings/relationship (learning that conversions still happen, although usually with FIA or higher tier reps) (also its been said twice to me now from reps that application for product will be gone in a year, but the rewards will continue)

UMB Simply rewards

Some type of fixed rate card with 6.25% APR

Any card that has anniversary bonuses worth more than the AF (Hyatt, IHG, etc)

SPG for transfer to Amtrak

Any type of card that is attached to checking and can function as a fee free line of credit

Any product by BOA as they consistently mail BT offers for 15-18 months which is great for a debt shuffle

At least one type of card that has no BT fees like penfed promise or Ring

Any type of Amex card as their APR reductions are super duper stupid easy

Paypal would be great for recurring 0% promos

Whats not in the deck, anythig capital one. They wont work with folks with APR, CLIs are not that great. Also they encourage folks to endure multiple sets of triple pulls making them more isolated from other banks.  Sorry, dont get it. Having a $25k limit quicksilver from opening a venture and qs, for just $500 bonus, doesnt seam woth 3 inquiries. There are easier ways to add limit for util reasons.  BUT if you do want a card with a 20k limt and have low risk of CLD/balance chasing in times of need, then cap1 is for you I guess.  That being said I have no problem with builders/rebuilders starting off with capital one, journey, etc.  But even then, the best their card can get is a no AF quicksilver....no easy APR reductions. It would be more wise to leave cap1 as a last resort. I would do BOA secured any day over cap1.

Message 8 of 56
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Ace of Spades: Sallie Mae Rewards

Ace of Clubs: Sallie Mae Rewards

Eight of Spades: US Bank Cash+

Eight of Clubs: US Bank Cash+

Three of Hearts: FNBO 1.5% cash back, 6.25% APR

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 56
fot1
Established Contributor

Mine would be

CSP

Sallie Mae

Chase AARP

Citi DC

Wyndham rewards ( Hardly a Myfico fan favorite but this card works for me well)

Too many to list..
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.