Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good interest rate

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

What is a good interest rate

Today a woman told me that her 7.75% interest rate was "uncompetitive" and "unsophisicated" for her "beyond excellent" credit (her words)... and yes, she talked exactly like Mrs. Thurston Howell III. No joke, she really sounded like Mrs Howell... but she got me thinking... for today's market what is considered a decent interest rate? The average interest rate for today is suppose to be 15%. With the economy going to hell in a handbasket they say prime is going to increase before the year is out which will drive interest up even more. So what is considered a good interest rate for today?

Personally I think 7.75 is pretty sweet, but that's just me. Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: What is a good interest rate

she's probably the same kind of person who thinks that any credit limit below $XXX is totally beneath her status Smiley Mad

i think that's a really good rate.  our lowest rate is 7.9%, followed by 12.65% and 15.9%.  we have a couple others whose rates resemble store card APRs Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Message 2 of 6
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

7.75 sounds great. I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if she's that worried about her interest rate she isn't all that well off. Especially in this economy, she should worry less about her rate and more about how much she's spending at Saks.
Message 4 of 6
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I have the 7.75% on my USAA Master Card / Visa.

It is by far the best rate that we have!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

My interest rates are all over the place: 4.69, 6.99, 7.24, 7.99, 8.24, 8.49, 9.49, 9.99, 10.24, 10.99, 14.24, 15.24, 18.24, 21.90, 24.24, 25.24, 25.99.

You just have to assume that the higher ones are from companies that don't want you to ever carry a balance.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.