cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a great rewards card with no AF?

tag
snowmobilelegend

What is a great rewards card with no AF?

Currently I have a secured card with a CU.  It has no AF.  I use for all my spending except rent.  Everything goes on the card.  It only has a 1000 dollar limit.   I pay it off every week when I get my paycheck.  I never pay any interest.  It currently gives me 1 point for every dollar I spend.  I plan on using the points to take a vacation, prolly buy a plane ticket.  They cost 20k points.  I am looking at getting a new CC that offers a better reward (dollar amount value) than what I have with no AF.  I would prefer a CU, but since I won't pay interest, I guess a big bank is OK.  I spend about 15-20k a year on the card, with the amount increasing the next few years.  Does anyone have suggestions?  My credit history is about 7 years long.  I haven't looked lately, but my score should be above 700.  Thanks!

EQ-727 TU-709 EX-714 9-17-08

EQ-718 TU-717 EX-?? 8-17-09
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Re: What is a great rewards card with no AF?

What are the items you spend the most money on monthly?  Without knowing that...Chase Freedom, Discover More, Amex Blue Cash are some that come immediately to mind.

Message 2 of 13
snowmobilelegend

20-25% is fuel for my car

20-25% is groceries bought at Fred Meyer

80  is cell phone

60 is car insurance

the rest is just random places....

Tuiton 3x a year paid to university

*edited to add tuition*

EQ-727 TU-709 EX-714 9-17-08

EQ-718 TU-717 EX-?? 8-17-09
Message 3 of 13
john398
Senior Contributor

Discover or Chase Freedom maybe

Message 4 of 13
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Sounds like the Amex Blue Cash Every day card would be a pretty good fit: 

• Earn 3% cash back at supermarkets.
• Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and department stores.
• Earn 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases

Assuming 25/25 and 1% on everything else that's an average of 1.75% which is pretty good. 

Another I kind of like is Nasa FCU's Platinum Cash Rewards which is tiered and not dependent on spending type:

• 1% rebate for purchases up to $1,000
  • 1.25% rebate for purchases from $1,001 up to $2,000
  • 2% rebate for purchases from $2,001 or more

I'm sure there are others to consider as well!

Message 5 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Penfed plat rewards. 5pts gas 3pts groceries Great cu but conservative lender but once in very generous and great rates Amex blue cash everyday 3% groceries 2% gas and department stores cash back
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 13
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Maybe the BofA cash rewards 123 card or the Amex Blue cash for your spending habbits.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 7 of 13
drkaje
Senior Contributor

With that level of spending the BCP's annual fee wouldn't be a factor.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
Guava
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

With that level of spending the BCP's annual fee wouldn't be a factor.

It's hard to estimate because it depends on how much you personally spend on each categories. I found a nice online calculator where you put in how much you spend and it'll calculate the cashback amount so you'll see which card will give you the most cashback:

http://www.creditcardwatcher.com/amex-blue-cash-rebate-calculator/

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
ajh5408
Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Penfed plat rewards. 5pts gas 3pts groceries Great cu but conservative lender but once in very generous and great rates Amex blue cash everyday 3% groceries 2% gas and department stores cash back

Second the PenFed Platinum Rewards card! The program is still fairly new, but they have decent redemption offerings (including 1:1 cash with a $50 minimum) and it's issued by a CU, as you indicated you would prefer.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.