Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a personal Line of credit????

tag
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

What is a personal Line of credit????

Ok I may have jumped into these without reading much but the main purpose of it was to build good history with penfed I applied and was approved for a personal line of credit by them and I really have not a clue how it works at all and would just like some advice what to do with it?..................... Also a little more infor I got it at 9.25%
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is a personal Line of credit????

Is this their "Thrifty" product? If so, it's an LOC designated only for overdraft protection. I have it and I don't think I can transfer the $$$ out. Not sure. I've had mine for 2 years and never took a dime out of it. In general, LOCs are revolving lines of credit with a fixed CL.

Message 2 of 5
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

No it is real line of credit I can do cash advance I don't even have a checking account I have a share account and I was wondering if 9.25% is a good rate and if I do a cash advance when does interest start accruing and what is the game with these
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 3 of 5
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Carlile92 wrote:
No it is real line of credit I can do cash advance I don't even have a checking account I have a share account and I was wondering if 9.25% is a good rate and if I do a cash advance when does interest start accruing and what is the game with these

A personal line of credit is an unsecured (not backed by a house; in other words, not a Home Equity Line Of Credit, or HELOC for short) line of credit offered by banks (and apparently by credit unions) to their best customers.

9.25% (current Prime Rate plus 6%) is an excellent interest rate for a personal line of credit.  There is probably no grace period for interest: interest probably accrues from the date of the cash advance.

There is no "game" with a personal line of credit.  You were deemed credit-worthy by your credit union, so you were granted a personal line of credit.  Your credit union thought you were a good credit risk, and it is betting that you will continue to handle your credit responsibly.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 4 of 5
nomoore
Contributor

Where I work (a CU) a personal line of credit is a form of revolving credit that I could borrow from at anytime. I could link it to my checking account as overdraft protection. Unlike a CC there is no grace period. Interest starts accruing immediately. Also of note, the payments aren't a percentage of the balance. For me it would be a fixed payment size based on the CL, not the balance. For interest rates my CU rates it the same as a personal loan. It is unsecured credit so 9.25% is pretty good.

That being said, I don't think they are standardized as much as CCs for instance. So the one you have may function differently than the one available to me.

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.