Established Member

What is a safe minimum credit score to apply for Discover or Amex Blue

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bmis42988
New Contributor

Re: What is a safe minimum credit score to apply for Discover or Amex Blue

It's not all about the score itself, but if you're asking for score and you have a pretty clean report, i'd say anything over 700 has a pretty good shot.

TU: 687 EQ: 670 EX: 665
Message 2 of 9
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@rollerkosh wrote:

I'm sorry I can't correctly answer your question, However I'll give my experience if that helps.

I have around 35k in CL's, Score of 632 EQ (working on paying accounts off)

I applied for Discover IT and was declined due to 

"Amount owed to accounts"

"Length of time accounts have been established"

"Too many inquiries in the last 12 months"

I received a call a week later, They asked me some basic questions and was reconsidered and approved with a starting CL of $2,500

Might I add, The chick that called me was very and I mean VERY friendly. made me feel a bit too comfortable with myself =P

I'd apply regardless (My score proves it's possible)

Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

No such thing.  As stated above, you need to consider your entire credit picture (as always).  It's not just the score but payment history, utilization, AAoA, inquiries, derogs and all the usual suscpects.  Don't fixate just on just the score.  Two people with the same score can certainly have different experiences with getting an approval no matter who the issuer is.

Message 4 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

@rollerkosh wrote:

Might I add, The chick that called me was very and I mean VERY friendly. made me feel a bit too comfortable with myself =P

Sounds like we might need some details here.. Or is it inappropriate for this forum

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 9
jake619
Frequent Contributor

As others mention, the score isn't the only factor.  In fact, you should think of a score as the numerical representation of your composite credit profile.  You could think of it (on a much larger scale) like the stock market.  At the end of the day the news reports the different indices and their composit number for the day.  A LOT went into those index numbers, and similarly, a lot goes into your FICO.  This may help:

For me, a 686 got me back into AMEX.  I had never burned them so there was positive history.  While there is no number you can use as a floor value to get in with, consider your whole profile.  What do you think?  If you were AMEX (or any creditor, really) would you extend credit to someone with your profile?

They don't stop at the score.  If they did then that could easily be spoofed to a degree with timing your apps.  It's deeper than that, and for good reason.  Risk-reward applies to everybody and every business.  There is a lot to a credit profile and creditors use those characteristics and attributes to make educated decisions before taking on too much risk.

Message 6 of 9
ag760
Established Member

I applied with a 758 TU score and I was approved for both, ofcourse YMMV.

Discover It 2,500 CL
BankAmericard Platinum Visa 1,500 CL
American Express BCE 2,000 CL
Gardening until 8/14
Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

As others have stated, score is not the only thing to be considered when applying for any credit card. Some lenders have internal scoring models as well. In addition to CR's, Amex also pulls Teletrack. What might be an acceptable score for one lender may not suffice for another.

Focus what's in the credit report not the score itself.
Message 8 of 9
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

In addition to all the other posts, I would not apply with anything less that 600 especially if your running multiple balances on your cards and have a thin file and or history... Just food for thought...

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.