cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is alternate option to Zync now?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: What is alternate option to Zync now?

@MrShush wrote:
I dont see what the big deal is about spending $70 more for the Green is. Zync with all the packs was what, $55? You are paying for more than a piece of plastic: brand image, benefits, service, and what forum members care most about--backdating.

I pay AMEX $545 a year in annual fees and will do so for all of the aforementioned. Some of you really have to look beyond the $25 card disappearing.

That card was a niche product and for many it served a purpose. Its gone now, move on to better offerings.

I apologize in advance, let the flames commence Smiley Very Happy

no flame from me. 

i had no packs on it. except the free ones. 

i dont mind paying the annual fee, i just dont want them to close they account and when i app for a card itll be a hard pull if denied =/ LOL. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 31 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:
I dont see what the big deal is about spending $70 more for the Green is. Zync with all the packs was what, $55? You are paying for more than a piece of plastic: brand image, benefits, service, and what forum members care most about--backdating.

I pay AMEX $545 a year in annual fees and will do so for all of the aforementioned. Some of you really have to look beyond the $25 card disappearing.

That card was a niche product and for many it served a purpose. Its gone now, move on to better offerings.

I apologize in advance, let the flames commence Smiley Very Happy

+1. I think you're spot-on here. If people are that bothered by such a small amount, they aren't the kinds of people Amex really wants anyways. They'd be better off going with someone else.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 32 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

There's a few threads on this already today; however, multiple people have called and it's been confirmed by multiple CSR's that the Zync is no longer available for application over the phone, via mail, or online.

Jury is still out on what happens to the current Zync holders... but as long as there is life on Zync Island (i.e. the card simply doesn't get dropped along with the cardholders, which I doubt for that second bit) I'll be OK with it.

Revelate,

I bet you are happy you decided to go ahead an app for Zync instead of waiting until the end of the year. Another couple weeks and i think you would have missed the cut-off.Smiley Wink

Oh extremely, and while I was thinking about it I do owe you a beer at some point for prodding my thinking that day and just getting off the fence and making the application.

This news doesn't really hurt me as I think Amex will want me as a customer over the long term, I just have to prove to them that fact; however, I don't think they're just going to unilaterally drop us into the abyss so I'm pretty optimistic things will work out for me and the other Zync cardmembers.

I'll take one too Smiley Very Happy 

Well if you get out to the LA area let me know.

MrShush: while there have been some complaints regarding the AF that the higher tier charge cards have (and that's more a function of the $0 AF zealotry on this forum I think), the bigger issue is that the Green is frankly a shoddy card compared to the Zync.  Incidently so are the rest of the charge cards for me, I don't travel and the rest of the reward structure is so last millenium.

There really isn't any other card in the Amex lineup that I'd consider an everyday card for me: I can't find anything with a restaurant multiplier and for me that's around 1K / month these days unfortunately.  The connect pack is unique short of maybe the US Bank Cash+, which I'm nowhere remotely close to qualified for, I'm not even certain if I could get a Citi TY points card (Forward?) or the Chase Amazon Visa and no shot at the CSP except as just amusement factor which I flatly refuse to do in a run-up to a mortgage when it comes to getting something for my restaurant spend.

This was an elegant card for most of us, and it's not even about the AF in my case, I'll pay effectively a wasted $90 AF for backdating and relationship building, but even at my income levels which are probably easily in the top 5% of this forum right now, one can't expect me to be happy about losing another $315ish/year on a Green over the Zync.  That's HOA fees for 1-2 months in whatever condo I try to slide into in the near term, and just bad financial sense regardless (~1200/mo spend between restraurants and covered connect pack utilities, might be higher than 2:1 multiple on some with the Eco pack even).

        
Message 33 of 61
Ron1
Super Contributor

I think Amex Green is alternative choice. I have both Green and PR Gold.  I think PR Gold is better.

Ron.

Message 34 of 61
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

Omg! I wonder why Amex decided to discontinued the Zync? It's there one of a kind unique-looking white card from their line-up aside from their clear ones Smiley Sad
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 35 of 61
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Revelate,

I'll take you up on that offer if i ever come to LA. A beer and a new app apiece while im there.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 36 of 61
FrugalRican
Blogger

People should just aim for the revolvers. Maybe not having the Zync is a good thing for people... yes, people...

Because it always seemed like there were posts with people in the lower 600 range, "Gonna try for the Zync!". It seemed like a cop out for many just to get the foot in with AMEX.

Aim higher. Aim for the revolver. Aim for a BCP for the first year and then downgrade to the BCE. Or any other AMEX product.

Maybe AMEX went back and looked at who their apps were coming from and noticed a bunch of 630's applying. Who knows?

Anyone who wants an AMEX that bad, will pay the AF for the charge card. Specially if a year ago, you paid First Premier or Orchard just to rebuild.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 37 of 61
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

I never had the Zync, but I should not have to pay a fee to get benefits and service. PNC and Chase provide excellent customer service and have many benefits for Visa Signature cardholders. I don't think American Express is as prestigious as people make it out to be. Even if it is, I don't think anyone should get a card, especially with an annual fee, just to be seen as elite.

I am also not sure why everyone thinks everyone's Zync will be closed and converted. Card companies phase out cards all the time and they always keep the cards active for at least another few years.

Message 38 of 61
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

I think a lot of people are bummed that the zync is going away because they wanted an "easy" way to say "I HAVE AN AMEX!!!"... because Zync was the easiest card to obtain which is why it was known as a card that got your foot in the door..BUT.. if they keep on the right path they WILL have an amex.. and not only an amex.. a BETTER amex!! a revolver is so much better than a charge card...Set your goals HIGH!!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 39 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd really find it hard to believe the Zync was anyone's goal card.  It may have been a good card to use for awhile, but it seems like there are all kinds of better choices out there once you have (re)built your credit.  I'm sure Amex won't force everyone out of the card for awhile, so just continue using it for now and you will probably be able to qualify for a better card before you are forced out.

Message 40 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.