cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is alternate option to Zync now?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: What is alternate option to Zync now?

Maybe hte Zync is going to become part of their 'Oasis' program.

I doubt that they will let people transition to any revolvers from the Zync.

Message 41 of 61
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

There's a few threads on this already today; however, multiple people have called and it's been confirmed by multiple CSR's that the Zync is no longer available for application over the phone, via mail, or online.

Jury is still out on what happens to the current Zync holders... but as long as there is life on Zync Island (i.e. the card simply doesn't get dropped along with the cardholders, which I doubt for that second bit) I'll be OK with it.

Revelate,

I bet you are happy you decided to go ahead an app for Zync instead of waiting until the end of the year. Another couple weeks and i think you would have missed the cut-off.Smiley Wink

Oh extremely, and while I was thinking about it I do owe you a beer at some point for prodding my thinking that day and just getting off the fence and making the application.

This news doesn't really hurt me as I think Amex will want me as a customer over the long term, I just have to prove to them that fact; however, I don't think they're just going to unilaterally drop us into the abyss so I'm pretty optimistic things will work out for me and the other Zync cardmembers.

I'll take one too Smiley Very Happy 

Well if you get out to the LA area let me know.

MrShush: while there have been some complaints regarding the AF that the higher tier charge cards have (and that's more a function of the $0 AF zealotry on this forum I think), the bigger issue is that the Green is frankly a shoddy card compared to the Zync.  Incidently so are the rest of the charge cards for me, I don't travel and the rest of the reward structure is so last millenium.

There really isn't any other card in the Amex lineup that I'd consider an everyday card for me: I can't find anything with a restaurant multiplier and for me that's around 1K / month these days unfortunately.  The connect pack is unique short of maybe the US Bank Cash+, which I'm nowhere remotely close to qualified for, I'm not even certain if I could get a Citi TY points card (Forward?) or the Chase Amazon Visa and no shot at the CSP except as just amusement factor which I flatly refuse to do in a run-up to a mortgage when it comes to getting something for my restaurant spend.

This was an elegant card for most of us, and it's not even about the AF in my case, I'll pay effectively a wasted $90 AF for backdating and relationship building, but even at my income levels which are probably easily in the top 5% of this forum right now, one can't expect me to be happy about losing another $315ish/year on a Green over the Zync.  That's HOA fees for 1-2 months in whatever condo I try to slide into in the near term, and just bad financial sense regardless (~1200/mo spend between restraurants and covered connect pack utilities, might be higher than 2:1 multiple on some with the Eco pack even).

If you don't travel then I agree that charge cards really don't suit what you need. But the Zync's rewards were mediocre at best because they earned Express points which were valued at under 1 cent per. Using full MR points converted to frequent flyer miles, especially when you get bonus conversion offers, can make those points vastly more valuable. The PRG, while obviously a better rewards card than gold/green, has a steep 175.00 AF. I don't understand how they can charge such a high AF and market it to travelers, but still charge a forex fee?

They never pushed the Zync as if it were in their longterm plans. I have never seen a zync in person either.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 42 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Amex discontinued Zync card, which is best (cheapest AF) we have now. I think we should go with Amex Green Now..

Any other inputs?

Let's just skip all the BS... I think we should all go straight for the CENTURION! Mu-wahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Smiley LOL

Message 43 of 61
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Amex discontinued Zync card, which is best (cheapest AF) we have now. I think we should go with Amex Green Now..

Any other inputs?

Let's just skip all the BS... I think we should all go straight for the CENTURION! Mu-wahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Smiley LOL

Yeah, with the $500 ZYNC hard limit. That would be something, if the AF is due Smiley Very Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 44 of 61
CS800
Super Contributor

I kept my Optima Card as a souvenir. I'm keeping the Zync also Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@gettnthere wrote:
@Revelate,

I'll take you up on that offer if i ever come to LA. A beer and a new app apiece while im there.Smiley Wink

Better make it after my mortage then!  I'm going to be a good boy I swear Smiley Happy

        
Message 46 of 61
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

I had the app itch last month and seriously considered going for the Zync.  Instead, I was "good" and stayed in the garden.  ***sigh***  Smiley Sad  Well, hopefully come June (having stayed in the garden for a year) I will "have what it takes" for Amex to consider me for one of their other cards.

My scores currently hover in the 700 range, I have no baddies other than two 30 days late on an auto payment from 2009, and as of June I will have 5 cc's that will be over a year old.  Of course at app time I will have my utilities at around 9%.  With that being said, does anyone have any opionon on what Amex card I should app for in June?

Message 47 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd really find it hard to believe the Zync was anyone's goal card.  It may have been a good card to use for awhile, but it seems like there are all kinds of better choices out there once you have (re)built your credit.  I'm sure Amex won't force everyone out of the card for awhile, so just continue using it for now and you will probably be able to qualify for a better card before you are forced out.

That depends on your definition of goal card.  I set goals in short (one year or less), mid (1-3 years) and long (3+) timelines for any of my financial decisions involving credit of any sort.

Everyone's credit profile is different, and it's not a single big jump for me to the high-end cards.  I'm actually very surprised (and pleased) that my score has gone up as much as it has over the 10 months I've gotten serious about this, and when you combine backdating, a rewards structure which works for me, and a underwriting criteria I thought I might be able to hit in a year, why isn't it a legitimate short-term goal card?

Long term I agree, probably any of those cards I listed earlier would be a better card for me, but I wouldn't have been able to qualify for them this year, possible exception maybe of a Chase Amazon and that's only because I'm dropping checks into a Chase deposit account.   With the theoretical mortgage dominating my mid-term goals, any future credit card attempts just have to wait.  If Amex didn't backdate, I wouldn't have even applied for the Zync most likely... backdating is non-trivial benefit in the mid/early long-term for me.

In the future I admit the Zync isn't expected to be in my lineup, but if you can derive decent value from a card over a two year period as compared to the rest of your portfolio, and for whatever reason you can't get something better, why not take it?  TBH, for me even a BOFA secured card was a goal card when I started, though I had a completely reasonable expecation of being approved for it... but that was last year's goals, this year's goal was a Zync along with getting my FICO into mortgage territory at least.  

I know this doesn't match most people's view of the world, but it's where my head's at anyway when it comes to the Zync being a "goal" card.

        
Message 48 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AZHeather wrote:

I had the app itch last month and seriously considered going for the Zync.  Instead, I was "good" and stayed in the garden.  ***sigh***  Smiley Sad  Well, hopefully come June (having stayed in the garden for a year) I will "have what it takes" for Amex to consider me for one of their other cards.

My scores currently hover in the 700 range, I have no baddies other than two 30 days late on an auto payment from 2009, and as of June I will have 5 cc's that will be over a year old.  Of course at app time I will have my utilities at around 9%.  With that being said, does anyone have any opionon on what Amex card I should app for in June?

I'm guessing Amex underwriting is going to change again, but based on their current stance, in June '13 you could likely pick any of their cards honestly with incredibly few exceptions... and those exceptions don't include BCP/SPG which are about as good as it gets with Amex revolvers depending on your needs.

        
Message 49 of 61
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd really find it hard to believe the Zync was anyone's goal card.  It may have been a good card to use for awhile, but it seems like there are all kinds of better choices out there once you have (re)built your credit.  I'm sure Amex won't force everyone out of the card for awhile, so just continue using it for now and you will probably be able to qualify for a better card before you are forced out.

It was my "goal" card. I wanted a charge card that could do 3 things: work at Costco, allow me to charge large purchases (that exceed my credit limit on revolving cards), get Amex purchase protection for complex or high risk items I order on the internet. The zync did all three of these for much less than the green.

People go on and on about MR vs MRE, but I got 1cent/point every time I converted points to Home Depot GCs. No fees, worked great. I know you can't push points to airlines, but with a green card I wouldn't have had enough points to make it a concern. Also, I fly United and Southwest almost exclusively, so pushing miles to partners I don't use isn't really useful either.

Plus, at the moment I don't have another card that has a restaurant multiplier. Yes, I eventually plan to use either a CSP or Citi Forward for this, but that is probably a year away. In the meantime, I have already run about 4000 in restaurant spending through the card, so Green would have yielded at least 4000 fewer points.

I am not averse to paying annual fees. 4 of my 6 cards have fees. I earn plenty of money, but I did the math and once I subtract the $125 difference between PRG and zync, I still would have earned more points using Zync. Green and Gold are relics and Platinum, while easily affordable, is not something I would use enough to justify. I don't need prestige from my cards. And if I did, I've gotten plenty of waiters impressed with my "white" Amex already.

I honestly plan to keep the Zync  as long as it works. One of these days, I'm going to burn out on clinical medicine and may very well accept one of the consulting jobs I get offered. That would mean weekly travel, etc. and I would clearly migrate to a PRG or Platinum. But otherwise, the Zync gives me exactly what I want for the least amount of outlay. And despite what several have suggested, I think Amex is just fine with me as a member and has no desire to see me go away.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.