cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is alternate option to Zync now?

tag
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: What is alternate option to Zync now?

Well guys, curiosity got the best of me. I called up AMEX to inquire about the Znyc card. They are no longer accepting ANY app's for the ZYNC and (according to the rep) are completely doing away with it. He stated details are still sketchy right now but they do not foresee doing any changes to current Zync card holder accounts.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 21 of 61
joeyh2007
New Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:

Well guys, curiosity got the best of me. I called up AMEX to inquire about the Znyc card. They are no longer accepting ANY app's for the ZYNC and (according to the rep) are completely doing away with it. He stated details are still sketchy right now but they do not foresee doing any changes to current Zync card holder accounts.

I just tried calling CS, and of course the lady I talked to admitted to me that I'm her very first call ever. So you can imagine how that went.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 22 of 61
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:

I just tried calling CS, and of course the lady I talked to admitted to me that I'm her very first call ever. So you can imagine how that went.

LMAO you had a virgin CSR! awwww! *dying*

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 23 of 61
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Im hoping they'll have something new, as I'd like a charge card but I dont think I could justify 95$ for a green. I'd rather get a CSP or something since I bank with chase, it would probably be a better idea for me. I liked the odea pf an amex charge with an AF reasonable for everyone, but then again, amex isn't supposed to be for "everyone."

I'd have to agree with this. I think part of the reason they did away with the zync has to do with how counterintuitive it is to their "spend-centric" business model, especially when one considers the 500/200 hardlimit option they were offering.  Its hard to push through alot of $ when one is running up against their limit on a weekly basis.

Also, I feel like the underwriting was so loose that it really was starting to take away from what 'makes amex, amex'. The amex brand is positioned as somewhat exclusive (how true this really is would be another debate entirely), and the zync, a card which those with limited/poor history qualified for, was very much in oppostion to that branding.

I myself have a zync, but if I had known then what I know now, I would have skipped it altogether and apped for the bce.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 24 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

There's a few threads on this already today; however, multiple people have called and it's been confirmed by multiple CSR's that the Zync is no longer available for application over the phone, via mail, or online.

Jury is still out on what happens to the current Zync holders... but as long as there is life on Zync Island (i.e. the card simply doesn't get dropped along with the cardholders, which I doubt for that second bit) I'll be OK with it.

        
Message 25 of 61
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

hmmm if we zync holders were pced would we have to pay for the new af or the zync one? 

i guess im glad i apped when i did. 

hard limit removed?

or in time. 

i just think its crazy with the 721 amex score i got a hard limit. 

i must have been really borderline. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 26 of 61
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

There's a few threads on this already today; however, multiple people have called and it's been confirmed by multiple CSR's that the Zync is no longer available for application over the phone, via mail, or online.

Jury is still out on what happens to the current Zync holders... but as long as there is life on Zync Island (i.e. the card simply doesn't get dropped along with the cardholders, which I doubt for that second bit) I'll be OK with it.

Revelate,

I bet you are happy you decided to go ahead an app for Zync instead of waiting until the end of the year. Another couple weeks and i think you would have missed the cut-off.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 27 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@gettnthere wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Revelate,

I bet you are happy you decided to go ahead an app for Zync instead of waiting until the end of the year. Another couple weeks and i think you would have missed the cut-off.Smiley Wink

Oh extremely, and while I was thinking about it I do owe you a beer at some point for prodding my thinking that day and just getting off the fence and making the application.

This news doesn't really hurt me as I think Amex will want me as a customer over the long term, I just have to prove to them that fact; however, I don't think they're just going to unilaterally drop us into the abyss so I'm pretty optimistic things will work out for me and the other Zync cardmembers.

        
Message 28 of 61
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@gettnthere wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Revelate,

Oh extremely, and while I was thinking about it I do owe you a beer at some point for prodding my thinking that day and just getting off the fence and making the application.

This news doesn't really hurt me as I think Amex will want me as a customer over the long term, I just have to prove to them that fact; however, I don't think they're just going to unilaterally drop us into the abyss so I'm pretty optimistic things will work out for me and the other Zync cardmembers.

I'll take one too Smiley Very Happy 

Message 29 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I dont see what the big deal is about spending $70 more for the Green is. Zync with all the packs was what, $55? You are paying for more than a piece of plastic: brand image, benefits, service, and what forum members care most about--backdating.

I pay AMEX $545 a year in annual fees and will do so for all of the aforementioned. Some of you really have to look beyond the $25 card disappearing.

That card was a niche product and for many it served a purpose. Its gone now, move on to better offerings.

I apologize in advance, let the flames commence Smiley Very Happy
Message 30 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.