Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is bad about Capital One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is bad about Capital One?

@delayedinsanity wrote:

Having the option to borrow 20k shouldn't induce a need to borrow 20k. I think his point is still valid, quite so in fact... 5k might be your manageable PIF limit for each card, but that's almost a good reason not to want 5-10k limit cards... you want a limit high enough above your manageable amount to not see your utilization jump regardless of whether your PIF prior to the statement cutting or within a few days of it (IE give you less reason to feel rushed... make the payment when you need to, and don't worry whether or not it reports because it isn't going to dramatically affect your score).

but I want to grow up and be like Frugal...  I want to be a balla!

Message 31 of 99
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

I have 2 Capital One CCs.  Both have a $500 limit.  IMO, this is perfect.  I use these to pay bills and make purchases online.  The lower limits protect me from myself - It is hard to overspend when you have a limit.Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Capitol One, they helped me establish credit.  I only closed the two cards I had with them because I had no use for them anymore; I don't like leaving cards open that I'll never use again.  I think most of their policies are pretty reasonable, and they seem better to me than Credit One, First Premier and most of the other sub-prime type lenders.  Their prime offerings aren't bad either.  I may very well go for another one of their cards in the future, perhaps the new Green cashback card.

Message 33 of 99
lithium78
Established Contributor

At one point, I loved Cap One, because my Platinum card grew from $300 to $1800 through their credit steps.  Unfortunately, it has stayed at $1800 for three years.  That was a nice CL back when I was working with toy cards.  These days I have prime cards, so I'm beginning to outgrow Cap One.  It would have been nice to keep them as part of my long-term CC portfolio, especially since they don't charge foreign transaction fees, but in another year I'm probably going to have to cut them loose.  I don't like paying $3 a month for the privilege of making them lots of money.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 99
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I have had every bad thing imaginable happen with capital one. I was wrongfully denied for Venture, fought for months to have a damaging mistake by them on my Experian report corrected. Then, I was wrongfully denied again for  a Spark Biz Card and was denied a CL increase on another card and have been jerked around trying to get answers on all these issues from their dim-witted front line who speaks bad English. 

In the end, however, I finally got the mistake on my Experian corrected thanks to consumerfinance dot gov. Once I took my matter to them in writing, I got results fast and CAP1 cooperated and removed the inaccurate charge off from all my reports. And as soon as that happened, I mailed in a huge packet of papers to them for a recon on my Spark application, which included a letter arguing my case, a copy of the apology and deletion notice of that inaccurate account and copies of my credit reports from the day of my denial and I have finally been approved. This entire time, I have been dealing directly with the escalation reps at 800-707-0489. They are much better to deal with. I also got an automatic CL increase on my other card after 6 months. So, things have worked out in the end. 

That being said, the single biggest problem I have with Cap 1 is their ridiculous way of dealing with applications. They are the only ones who don't have credit analysts and decision-makers available for recons. I hate that. I also hate that they make you wait for the denial reasons in the mailed letter and make it impossible to get to the bottom of the issue right away. Analysts need to be available to speak to applicants.Their automated approval-denial system leaves a lot to be desired....A LOT.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 35 of 99
lovinlifeinkc
Regular Contributor

Had my Cap One card since Dec, $300 limit at the time. Six months later was increased to $500. Baby steps for sure but my score was pretty crappy when they approved me. Haven't had to deal with customer service and typically pay balance in full every month.
Starting Score Aug 2011 590/ Gardening until 2013!!
Current Score Walmart 683/ FICO Equifax 722/738/ 708 Transunion FICO 700/ 725 Credit Karma 648/678/
Goal Score 750
Credit Cards- Orchard $300, Capitol One $300/$500, Amazon $600/$1300 Pennys $700, Walmart $250/$700, Discover $2000, Chase $1500 Pending Citi/Declined Cit- Inquires and new credit....... GARDENING UNTIL 2013 or home loan time!!! Help me stay strong!!
Message 36 of 99
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

I have had every bad thing imaginable happen with capital one. I was wrongfully denied for Venture, fought for months to have a damaging mistake by them on my Experian report corrected. Then, I was wrongfully denied again for  a Spark Biz Card and was denied a CL increase on another card and have been jerked around trying to get answers on all these issues from their dim-witted front line who speaks bad English. 

What does "wrongfully denied" mean? Do you mean to imply that they were obligated to give you credit? As far as I know, no creditor is obligated to give a particular consumer SQUAT if they don't want to.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 37 of 99
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

What does "wrongfully denied" mean? Do you mean to imply that they were obligated to give you credit? As far as I know, no creditor is obligated to give a particular consumer SQUAT if they don't want to.

From what I gather in his post I think he had incorrect data on his reports which were causing the denial.

Message 38 of 99
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Look Capital One has good and bad qualities just like every other one of these companies. I wouldn't have all the prime cards that I have now without them. Do I wish that my $750 & $500 cards were $5000 and $8000 like other cards yes, am I gonna cancel because of this yes. It's been 4 years they have served the purpose wonderfully! I don't agree with the fact that they don't let peoples CL grow with them, but guess what just like any other product in the market if you don't like it as a consumer don't buy it! I will cancel my cards I took them both to Italy this year and paid no FTF which was nice Amex charged me. BOA charged me. The only problem combined total $1250. Outta money in days. So I will cance going to Hawaii next so don't have to worry and then year later back to Europe where I will apply for a Capital One prime card. It's just 1 hard pull if you wanna see if you qualify pull the trigger and get rid of those subs.
Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 39 of 99
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

@lovinlifeinkc wrote:
Had my Cap One card since Dec, $300 limit at the time. Six months later was increased to $500. Baby steps for sure but my score was pretty crappy when they approved me. Haven't had to deal with customer service and typically pay balance in full every month.

What did the rest of your portfolio look like at the time and how did you go about this (backdoor, automatic, hp, sp)? I'd like to keep the card open until it hits 2 years old, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to restrain myself that long. I originally intended to use it as a gas card, but I don't see that happening either.

Message 40 of 99
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.