cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is considered maxed out on a credit card?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: What is considered maxed out on a credit card?

The truth is, nobody knows. I doubt anyone has data on the impact of going from 95% to 90%.

Think about it. The closer you get to 100% the more nervous the lender will get. Look at the graph on this page: http://www.barclaycardring.com/t5/Barclaycard-Ring-Public-Blog/A-Case-Study-of-a-Credit-Line-Increas... . The likelihood of a credit limit decrease increases with rising utilization up to a certain point beyond which there is simple too little space left for the limit to be reduced by. On the other hand, reaching 100% is not the end of the world; with a Visa Signature you can charge over the limit without causing trouble.

If you honestly do not have the money the pay down the balance significantly I would maintain the current balance so that your bank will not award you with a credit limit decrease, while saving money to pay the balance later. Once you have accumulated $3k or so, pay it all at once to bring the risk down.

Message 11 of 19
Phico_Phil

Just stopping to comment on your Target Card limit - you have awesome limits up to $15,000 in your signature line, but $200 on Target - it looks like they give everyone a hard time, I haven't been able to get them to raise my limit either Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Not sure if this really helps or not, but when speaking to the Chase Lending Department last night on the phone, the woman told me that when making a balance transfer they would only be able to move monies that equaled no more than 95% of the cards total available credit limit.

I know you're not looking for a balance transfer, but I thought maybe the 95% balance may be relevant.  That may be a number that would prevent adverse action depending on the lender and of course how long one carried a balance that high. But as far as score increases I'm sure the other posters info is more accurate.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 13 of 19
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@HiLine wrote:

The truth is, nobody knows. I doubt anyone has data on the impact of going from 95% to 90%.

Think about it. The closer you get to 100% the more nervous the lender will get. Look at the graph on this page: http://www.barclaycardring.com/t5/Barclaycard-Ring-Public-Blog/A-Case-Study-of-a-Credit-Line-Increas... . The likelihood of a credit limit decrease increases with rising utilization up to a certain point beyond which there is simple too little space left for the limit to be reduced by. On the other hand, reaching 100% is not the end of the world; with a Visa Signature you can charge over the limit without causing trouble.

If you honestly do not have the money the pay down the balance significantly I would maintain the current balance so that your bank will not award you with a credit limit decrease, while saving money to pay the balance later. Once you have accumulated $3k or so, pay it all at once to bring the risk down.

I would agree with you on this if the OP had multiple CLs all maxed out. I don't think the OP has to worry right now about adverse action from a lender too much. If they make their $450 payment they should be fine.

Message 14 of 19
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Goodness gracious! This is from last year!

Can't believe I didn't see that before I posted.
Message 15 of 19
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:

Yeah, I do that sometimes...  I think we need a moldy oldie alert  Smiley Happy

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 16 of 19
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

Yeah, I do that sometimes...  I think we need a moldy oldie alert  Smiley Happy

Good gravy, now I feel like a doofus. It was showing at the top so I didn't even think about the possibility of it being an old revived thread. Smiley Frustrated

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 17 of 19
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:

I do the same thing ALL THE TIME...lol!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 18 of 19
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@NewtoCredit80 wrote:

OP, Anything above 70% of the credit limit looks like a mxed out credit cards. Your scores would rise once your utilization is below 30% and for best scores your util should be between 1-9%.

I was leaning more towards the 70-75% that Fico actually considers an account maxed and yes while others have posted 30,9, etc.... you will see score increases along the way as you pass each percentage that is considered... need to find that graph around here somewhere... If you can do $450 next month, then that's a great start... keep throwing what you can and it will start to help your score each month little by little... the account will also age more and depending on credit profile, maybe you could add another card... many things to get your score to continue to rise as you work on this 1 debt... hopefully it's the only maxed out card you have.

Old but was the graph posted somewhere

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.