Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is considered "maxxed out"?

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: What is considered "maxed out"?

@Roarmeister wrote:

Although your question and the replies so far are all aligned on the same idea (% of card's credit line used) I would offer up a different perspective. 

TO ME - maxed out is how capable am I of making payments to my debts.  That is -- how much discretionary money do I have left after paying off the monthly debts and savings?  For some people it might be only a couple hundred dollars and for others it is in the thousands.  For me, it's about $1500 a month that I can throw at my non-mortgage debts.  If I am paying all of that out, I consider myself MAXED OUT with nothing left for other purposes.

Since this amount is personal to each person's situation and budget, there is no preset percentage involved.  And NO you do not want to cross your personal threshold as that would mean you are generating more debt than your ability to pay it off.  Smiley Mad

Sounds like DTI

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 21 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: What is considered "maxxed out"?

I have $60+k in avail cred, and my lovely Cap One is stuck at $1,300 haha, although it has a 13.9% interest rate.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 22 of 23
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is considered "maxed out"?

Yes but its also different because it is so personal.  DTI can be expressed as a definable percentage that is usable across a wide spectrum of users.  What I was expressing is personal ability to pay based on a persons individual ability, credit lines, personal indebtness and differening priorities.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.