cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it that makes the Merrill+ card special for some posters?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

What is it that makes the Merrill+ card special for some posters?

What is it that makes the Merrill+ card special for some posters?  I tried researching this card on DoC and here on the forum, but mostly all I found was that if you book a flight of $500 on the card, you will get 2% cashback.  But with cards like DC, Blispay and similar that offer flat 2% cashback, what additional incentives are there to app for Merrill+?  The reason I ask is because I know it is going to be discontinued very soon by BoA and so I was wondering if I should consider apping before BoA will be no longer accepting new apps on this card.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is it that makes the Merrill+ card special for some posters?

@galahad15 wrote:

What is it that makes the Merrill+ card special for some posters?  I tried researching this card on DoC and here on the forum, but mostly all I found was that if you book a flight of $500 on the card, you will get 2% cashback.  But with cards like DC, Blispay and similar that offer flat 2% cashback, what additional incentives are there to app for Merrill+?  The reason I ask is because I know it is going to be discontinued very soon by BoA and so I was wondering if I should consider apping before BoA will be no longer accepting new apps on this card.

Sign up bonus is the attraction.  Also what makes you sure that the card is going to be discontinued.  I saw one rumor on I believe in DoC and that's it.  I have seen no other info that it will be closed but maybe I missed it.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've asked this same question before.. don't see what's attractive about this card..
Message 3 of 10
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Sign up bonus is the attraction.  Also what makes you sure that the card is going to be discontinued.  I saw one rumor on I believe in DoC and that's it.  I have seen no other info that it will be closed but maybe I missed it.

Thanks for the helpful info.  In answer to your question above, yes it would be the DoC article and there are a few threads on this forum, including one post that said that the Merrill+ will be discontinued on either the 18th or 19th of this month, according to a BoA CSR who had mentioned it to the poster IIRC.  Although I'm not 100% sure about it being discontinued either -- as I also saw one other post that claimed that the card will not be discontinued by BoA.

Message 4 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Most people were interested in it purely due to the signup bonus worth between $500 and $1,000 depending how it is redeemed.

In the long run, it's just a 1% card. If you redeem exactly right, it can be a roughly 2% card, but not much point in bothering since there are easily accessible flat 2% cards out there.

I have read on several sites that BOA intends to discontinue this card when their new "Premium" card is released later this month. But, we will see.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful info.  In answer to your question above, yes it would be the DoC article and there are a few threads on this forum, including one post that said that the Merrill+ will be discontinued on either the 18th or 19th of this month, according to a BoA CSR who had mentioned it to the poster IIRC.  Although I'm not 100% sure about it being discontinued either -- as I also saw one other post that claimed that the card will not be discontinued by BoA.

I guess anything is possible but I would have thought that if it were going to be closed in the next week or so as reported the there would have been some other notice of it, somewhere.  Typically a creditor will provide at least some advance notice of a card closing so I have my doubts but I guess we will see.  They just gave me a $13K CLI the other day to $34,600 so I hope that they don't just shut down the card.

Message 6 of 10
happypill
Valued Contributor

I applied for the card on Sunday based on the speculation that it will be closed to new apps soon.  I based this on the DoC articles (they seem to point to the 18th or 19th, and also the fact that the online apply button has been gone for a while now and you have to apply by phone.  I know the button disappeared for a short while, then came back, and then went away again.  I take this to mean that they aren't really pursuing new applications, but haven't heard that the card will be discontinued and cancelled.

My primary motivation for applying for the card is the sign-on bonus.  $500 cash or $1000 used on their travel portal is extremely nice for a no AF card.  My app went pending (I'm speculating that their approval deparment wasn't working Sunday evening when I called), and was approved the next morning.  Don't know the limit or terms yet.  Ultimately, it's not very useful after the sign-on but if I can get a huge limit and no AF, I'll be happy to keep it around.

Message 7 of 10
rooeez
Regular Contributor

Sign up bonus and it's pretty. lol Got my $1,000 worth for flights for the family summer trip and now it's in the drawer.

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 8 of 10
creditfan
Established Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

the real different is after 50k spending annually

Message 9 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

As others stated the sign-up bonus.  The card isn't going anywhere for existing card holders, new applications yes it is going away and be probably leaned towards the new BofA CSP wanna-be card or whatever it is.  This was confirmed by some source on DOC that for existing cardholder it isn't going anywhere least for the time being and what you don't want to do being BofA/Merrill is make alot of people with alot of money aka Merrill card holders mad be discontinuing a card that probably a good deal of them have with usually good assets as Merrill is primary a wealth management thing.  Just my take on the attraction and the future of the card

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.