Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my ideal AmEx combo?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is my ideal AmEx combo?

Hello,

I currently have a AmEx PRG and Delta Gold. I fly 3-4 times a year bu looks like I may be starting to travel more. I LOVE the PRG as it gives me 2x on dining, which I definitely do a lot out. I would love to have the new benefits on the Plat (airline credit, uber credit, lounges, hotel credit TSA precheck, etc). However it only offers 1x points on dining and gas. So, what would the best combo be? Plat and Everyday Preffered? OR Plat and Prg....this is the most expensive one and while it offers all the ebenfits/rewards i would want... thats pricey. Ideally i want to get rid of the delta gold as that is $95 a year and i can live without priority boarding. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is my ideal AmEx combo?

Well i was going to say upgrade the delta card to delta platinum but it looks like you dont want those added benifits.
If you want the gas benifit id say look into the Amex Wells Fargo propel card and then get the amex platinum.
Before chosing the platinum id also say look into CSR and Citi prestige.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it depends on how much dining you do. The EDP gets you 1.5x points for non-bonus purchases as long as you make 30 transactions in a month. This is almost as good as the dining bonus on the PRG. In return you get 4.5x points on groceries and 3x points on gas. If you dine out all the time and never go to the grocery store, keeping the PRG may make sense. And the higher earning on gas may offset the difference as well. You would however lose the 3x points on airfare (but the platinum redemption would likely make up for it). The PRG and EDP effectively have the same AF if you take the airline credit into account.

So my recommendation is Platinum and EDP. If you do a ton of dining out, and I mean a TON, the the PRG may be better.

(Keep in mind that the PRG has better ancillary benefits like roadside assistance and what not. Check those out ahead of time if they make a difference to you).
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANKS!! So dining out is approx 30-35% of my spend and gas is probably 10-15%. However, I barely go to the supermarket... 

Message 4 of 11
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Nice thread. I have a somewhat similar situation. Love Delta and fly about 10-15 times a year. Medallion status is important to me (loving the many first class upgrades I have gotten, as well as priority baggage handling) so I have the platinum Delta version. However, trying to decide if I want to keep the PRG......

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually have the following AMEX Cards:

AMEX PRG - orginally picked up since my wife and I spent @ $900/month on gas (long commutes) , $300/Month on Dining & $500/Month on Groceries

AMEX SPG - Strictly for the bonus and paying the maint on the Sheraton timeshares we own

AMEX EDP - Our goto card for groceries and everthing outside of dining (Always reach 30+ transactions/month for 50% bonus)

AMEX Plat - Strictly for perks and 5X on airfare (travel @ 6 times per year and make up the AF cost by going to Lounges with family and friend & $200 Travel Reimbursment)

If I had to do keep only 2 I would keep the PRG and EDP (Great combo for collecting points). But with the traveling that you are doing I would recommend the PRG & Plat. The best of both worlds with perks.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much travelling do you really plan on doing? I just can't recommend the Plat unless you're in the air alot!
Message 7 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

EDP(for points) and Plat (for perks & airfare) combo.  The 1.50x on reg spend and 3x gas pend takes out the 2x on PRG of dining.  MY PRG was for the 50k bonus, IDK what I may do when the AF comes up.  Daily coffee can get you over the 30 swips.

I use CSR for all dining.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the platinum is good even if you only fly a few times a year. The free coach ticket every year pays for the 195 AF.
The only leap that i wouldnt do unless you fly for business many times a month is delta reserve.
I have 4 cards Ritz for marriott hotels CSR for points Amex delta platinum for flying and wells Fargo amex propel for gas/mortgage pay down when i get enough points from gas.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm thanks all!

I am leaning more and more towards the PRG ANd Plat Combo. I don't have an annual fee coming due on the PRG until early next year so I may just spring for the Platinum now and get locked in on the lower annual fee. Gas and Dining are the two largest categegories of spend for me so I think it makes sense to to definitely keep the PRG or I can also get the free regular Gold card to the Platinum to use it for dining....but then I don't get 2x on gas. Ugh, Wish there was one card to do it all but I think they definitely planned this on purpose haha. I think one thing I am sure of that for me personally, keeping the Delta Gold does not make sense. i will nto be in the air a lot TONS but I can try and justify the plat with Uber credits, Global Entry, and airline credit, etc. If it only offered 2x on dining....

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.