cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my next step to rebuild my once A+ credit?

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

What is my next step to rebuild my once A+ credit?

First I'll start with a little history. Me and my now ex husband had A+ credit. Several houses, rental property, land, car loans ($30,000+ loans x2), HIGH credit card amounts, $20,000+ unsecured loans...you get the idea. Well, things happen and I divorced my husband after 20+ years. He didn't want the divorce and vowed to make my life a living H3ll...and he did. He was ordered to pay 1/2 the bills (which is specified in the divorce court papers) and I was to pay the other. I sold the property and paid everything off and cut up all of the credit cards. He did not. It continued to hurt my credit. I had scores as low as 500 at one point.

When I started working on my credit several years ago I found a WONDERFUL site on how to dispute and repair you credit on your own. All I have to say is it worked like a dream on A LOT of things. They were removed.

So now to bring you up to date. 

I pulled my scores this past April and this is what they reported: TU=719  EQ=743 EX=780. I was so happy that all of my hard work has been paying off. However, I pulled my EQ today from this site and it says 710??? I'm not sure what is going on.

What I currently have now is showing a PIF never late mortgage. An OLD cc that was opened in 1985 (JCP) that is PIF, closed, never late but stills reports for some reason???, my Nursing student loans (not paying on yet, I'm still in school) with a balance of $11,000+, and a cc I just got back in April with Orchard Bank (since I read up on it and said it was a good one to get for people with credit issues and approve everyone) with a limit of $300 and unsecured. <---I charge on this every month faithfully and pay it off weeks before it's due in full.

The ONLY negative thing on my account is a judgement on me (which was filed w/o my knowledge and I didn't find out about it for a couple of years) for around $3,400. It is due to fall off in June of next year.

What is my next step? Should I apply for another cc? If so, which one's are good or a "for sure" deal with my score that would give me one unsecured? What kind of limits should I be looking for? I will only be using them to build my credit and paying them off in full every single month. My bank said they would give me a small $1,000 loan next year when the judgement falls off...just to help me establish more credit.

Any ideas what I should do at this point? Is it too soon to apply for another card since it has only been 7 months since I got my last? Should I call my cc (which is Orchard, but they have been sold off to Capital One now) and see if they will raise the limit?

Thanks in advance for your help. Smiley Happy

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: What is my next step to rebuild my once A+ credit?

Who do you bank with?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 14
deg757
Regular Contributor

My credit is way worse than yours and I just got approved for a Walmart card ($600) and a My Discover card ($1,500). I don't have any judgements but I have a chargeoff (PIF) from about 2 years ago.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 3 of 14
audia4
Established Contributor

I have banked with the Credit Union for about 10 years now.

I'm just concerned about the judgement and getting another card. I would think that a judgement against you is way worse than anything else (I believe I was told it's in the same category as a bankruptcy).

I did have charge offs, but they have all fallen off now.

I use to have a Discover card over 10 years ago and during me and my ex's split/divorce, he did not pay on it. They ended up putting a judgement against my house, which I sold my house within a few months and paid it off in full. That satisfied the bill with them (it was not a write-off) and they reported PIF. It is now off my credit. Would they be able to see this or have records of this and deny me a card because of my previous history with them?

Where do you apply for a Walmart card at? I didn't even realize they had a card. Smiley Tongue  Can it be done online and do you know instantly if you get the card?

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 4 of 14
deg757
Regular Contributor

I don't know the answers to your questions about discover but the Walmart card can be apped on their website and I found out instantly.
Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 5 of 14
audia4
Established Contributor

I have just read several post with people that applied at Walmart online and they were instantly approved (with lower scores than mine) and I just did it and got the "You will receive a decision by mail in the next 7–10 days. Please make a note of your application's reference number" answer. Smiley Sad Ugh! I'm kind of bummed about this. I remember those "dreaded doomed" letters of denial arriving in the mail.

I don't suppose there is a number to call to check on the status by phone is there? I wonder why some get an instant answer and others don't.

Message 6 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

I have banked with the Credit Union for about 10 years now.

I'm just concerned about the judgement and getting another card. I would think that a judgement against you is way worse than anything else (I believe I was told it's in the same category as a bankruptcy).

I did have charge offs, but they have all fallen off now.

I use to have a Discover card over 10 years ago and during me and my ex's split/divorce, he did not pay on it. They ended up putting a judgement against my house, which I sold my house within a few months and paid it off in full. That satisfied the bill with them (it was not a write-off) and they reported PIF. It is now off my credit. Would they be able to see this or have records of this and deny me a card because of my previous history with them?

Where do you apply for a Walmart card at? I didn't even realize they had a card. Smiley Tongue  Can it be done online and do you know instantly if you get the card?

Have you checked to see if your credit union could offer you anything?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 14
guydiver
Established Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

First I'll start with a little history. Me and my now ex husband had A+ credit. Several houses, rental property, land, car loans ($30,000+ loans x2), HIGH credit card amounts, $20,000+ unsecured loans...you get the idea. Well, things happen and I divorced my husband after 20+ years. He didn't want the divorce and vowed to make my life a living H3ll...and he did. He was ordered to pay 1/2 the bills (which is specified in the divorce court papers) and I was to pay the other. I sold the property and paid everything off and cut up all of the credit cards. He did not. It continued to hurt my credit. I had scores as low as 500 at one point.

When I started working on my credit several years ago I found a WONDERFUL site on how to dispute and repair you credit on your own. All I have to say is it worked like a dream on A LOT of things. They were removed.

So now to bring you up to date. 

I pulled my scores this past April and this is what they reported: TU=719  EQ=743 EX=780. I was so happy that all of my hard work has been paying off. However, I pulled my EQ today from this site and it says 710??? I'm not sure what is going on.

What I currently have now is showing a PIF never late mortgage. An OLD cc that was opened in 1985 (JCP) that is PIF, closed, never late but stills reports for some reason???, my Nursing student loans (not paying on yet, I'm still in school) with a balance of $11,000+, and a cc I just got back in April with Orchard Bank (since I read up on it and said it was a good one to get for people with credit issues and approve everyone) with a limit of $300 and unsecured. <---I charge on this every month faithfully and pay it off weeks before it's due in full.

The ONLY negative thing on my account is a judgement on me (which was filed w/o my knowledge and I didn't find out about it for a couple of years) for around $3,400. It is due to fall off in June of next year.

What is my next step? Should I apply for another cc? If so, which one's are good or a "for sure" deal with my score that would give me one unsecured? What kind of limits should I be looking for? I will only be using them to build my credit and paying them off in full every single month. My bank said they would give me a small $1,000 loan next year when the judgement falls off...just to help me establish more credit.

Any ideas what I should do at this point? Is it too soon to apply for another card since it has only been 7 months since I got my last? Should I call my cc (which is Orchard, but they have been sold off to Capital One now) and see if they will raise the limit?

Thanks in advance for your help. Smiley Happy

Since you are showing all three of your scores, they have to be FAKO scores, or to be more accurate, "Educational Scores".  They are sold by the credit bureaus to keep from having to pay Fair Isaac for the Fico score. The EQ score you pulled from this site is a true FICO score, and most likely the same exact score your lender would pull, excluding any variations for credit card, auto, etc....  This site also sells a TU Fico, although the '98 version that is older and less likely to be pulled by your lender than more up to date versions, especially for a mortgage.

Message 8 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yes, there is a number to call tel:877-294-8770- refer to your reference number.  I am sure they want to perform a routine verification check with you.  I applied a month ago and got the same response.  I am not sure if its because I hadn't applied for credit in awhile but after I answered the questions I was approved and my TU score was lower than yours.

Good luck! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 14
audia4
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Have you checked to see if your credit union could offer you anything?

They will not offer me anything until the judgement falls off.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.