Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is next best travel card?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What is next best travel card?

Now that I cancelled my Amex cards is there any suggestion as to what is the next best card for travel?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: What is next best travel card?

I'd say Chase Sapphire Preferred. The ultimate rewards points are competitive and flexible.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

is it for domestic or international?

Message 3 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Only 2 top cards out there for travel that I know of is: Venture & Sapphire Preferred.

You didn't like the Amex SPG? Depending on what airline you fly...spg pts could be transferred to your airline for 20k pts = 25k miles.

And the spg card has alot of hotels throughout the US/abroad...top tier and low tiers of hotels.

OP will chime in but I fly mainly Continental/United and their Alliance of network they are afiliated with so I am happy with the Sapphire Preferred.

What cards do you have in mind????

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you travel internationally? I like jp morgan select. Then there's ameriprise world elite (lounge+ $200 airline credit) for 150 af, chase sapphire preferred, penfed with 6+ percent back on airlines... Chase hyatt for hotels, or Chase ritz carlton. Citi execitive AA world elite if you fly american, likewise chase united. Just a few ideas. Sapphire and select are similar to amex with airline partners. A chase freedom+sapphire or select combo works wonders for faster earning.
Message 5 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

In the next 18 months once a month to Caribbean and once every 3 months to Europe.

Message 6 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Have you considered a co-branded Amex card? This would let you use some of the network perks without FR being a concern.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

What about the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express? Its an american express card without dealing with american express

No annual fee and no foriegn transaction fees

Message 8 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

What about the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express? Its an american express card without dealing with american express

No annual fee and no foriegn transaction fees

Thanks John. I am looking at different options now.  I just did a PC from Dividends card to AA Executive card. I am considering PC other cards. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Message 9 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@concor....sounds like you have all the cards you need.

How will you be flying to Europe? or what airline you normally use?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.