cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

$100 AF, no flexibility to carry a balance, no pre set spending limit only really means your limit is not reported to benefit your util and overall limits, rigid lender that is the most likely to take AA, what is the benefit of this card I don't get it.
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

@Peter1142 wrote:
$100 AF, no flexibility to carry a balance, no pre set spending limit only really means your limit is not reported to benefit your util and overall limits, rigid lender that is the most likely to take AA, what is the benefit of this card I don't get it.

I am curious as well.. 

Message 2 of 93
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly I just think it is a classy card..  Better options out there such as being the PRG or what not, but something I like about the Amex Green card..  I know it goes against everthing MyFICO stands for but if I was to apply for a CC not a revolver w/amex it would be the green card just cause I ike itSmiley Happy..  Granted I won't be applying for a NPSL card with them anymore since MSD is gone or that might of been my next card and downgraded it to the SR version after first year which makes it 50?  Anyways, not going to happen now that MSD is gone on new accounts.

Message 3 of 93
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

It is considered the ultimate status symbol.  Just a clean simple AMEX.  No points.  No miles.  For people who don't need them.

Warren Buffet has it.  And status conscious New Yorkers.

Message 4 of 93
Open123
Super Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

It is considered the ultimate status symbol.  Just a clean simple AMEX.  No points.  No miles.  For people who don't need them.

I'm all for status, but not at such a steep price!

Message 5 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly the kind of people not to emulate

Message 6 of 93
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly the kind of people not to emulate

i see it as status symbol , but there are other amex cards out now that surpass it namely the no af revolver Everyday card. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 93
Valued Contributor

When you fly in your own jet, you don't need green stamps -- I mean mileage points.  Gold and platinum cards are tacky and pedestrian.

I however do need the miles, so feel free to donate to my account!

Message 8 of 93
Valued Contributor

And I'm on their BL.  So I can't even have a green card.  Sigh.  Maybe Warren B will payoff my debt and they will let me back in?  I will send him a goodwill letter!

Message 9 of 93
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

I don't think of any of the American Express cards as showing any more class than other credit cards. More often then not, when I see one, I'm just thinking to myself "you are wasting your money by paying the AF." Maybe their cards are worth it to some, but to me, I'll keep my $95.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.