cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

@koalablue wrote:
You get MR points with the Green, right?

yes, but only 1 MR point per dollar spent. no bonuses anymore. plus $95 AF and 2.7% FT fee. 

Message 41 of 93
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Thought I've gotten a few deals with their "offers and benefits" section. $30 on $225 spend with Verizon, $15 off flowers, for my Mom for Easter, and some good cash for a NewEgg purchase..all within the last 2-3 months. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 42 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

Thought I've gotten a few deals with their "offers and benefits" section. $30 on $225 spend with Verizon, $15 off flowers, for my Mom for Easter, and some good cash for a NewEgg purchase..all within the last 2-3 months. 

$100 in statement credits don't make up for losing the potential to rack up double or even triple your points. 

Message 43 of 93
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

$100 in statement credits don't make up for losing the potential to rack up double or even triple your points. 

It's enough to offset my AF and for a card that's backdated 15 years..I'm fine with it. And with the deals I got $100 for $450 spend is pretty damn good. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 44 of 93
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheGardner wrote:
Amex green was Jesus' firstAmex as well. I suspect he would feel as Anomalous does.

Please cite book, chapter and verse.

Matthew 8:13 is  And Jesus said to the centurion, "Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed."

Most authorities believe this refers to Jesus contacting the Amex Plat concierge.   Now he MAY have had a green first, but cite the source!

Matthew 8:12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Back in the early days of charge cards, competitors were the green and diners. Diners still hasn't recovered. And centurion was greatly healed. Smiley Tongue 

Speculation of course.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 45 of 93
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

It's enough to offset my AF and for a card that's backdated 15 years..I'm fine with it. And with the deals I got $100 for $450 spend is pretty damn good. 

But more to the point, these offers are also availble on the no AF cards (with some variation among cards)  including Amex network cards like Fidelity, so, for me, I never count the offers as part of the justification for the fee.

Message 46 of 93
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:
$100 AF, no flexibility to carry a balance, no pre set spending limit only really means your limit is not reported to benefit your util and overall limits, rigid lender that is the most likely to take AA, what is the benefit of this card I don't get it.

Not really allure. but for me it is to get the same card that my dad and his dad had. other than that. im lucky if i spend 300 a month on it. but it is a classic so i will keep it and transfer my 3500 mr points per year to my delta. extra miles when it is 2 for 1. nope. its outdated. but sometime the old things work best. for me. it is a true discipline tool. having to pay in full means i don't over spend. that is the number 1

Message 47 of 93
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Just because its a green card doesn't mean its backed by Green card type rewards, if you met the sign up requirements of the AMEX black card they will send you any AMEX card you like, that is linked to the same account. I have known many people that earn over 6 digits yet still where jeans and t-shirt, no need to make an impression. But on the other hand no need to stay with zero rewards. Rich people get rich by living like poor people, having more money coming in than going out.  Poor people stay poor by living like rich people. 

Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates, have no need to have hotel and resturant staff staring at his AMEX card and going wow, never seen one like that before. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 48 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely love my American Express Green Card for many reasons.  I read posts on here all the time that people gripe about the points and that it has a "limit", etc..  The limit is per purchase, not a total credit line.  So what I've done, is contacted American Express the two times I've charged over $5k on a single purchase.  All American Express did was want to know where the charge would come from so the computer wouldn't flag it. 

The customer service is phenomenal.  I have never had any problems whatsoever.  American Express contacted me, because someone had gotten my number, and was trying to charge $9K at Wal-Mart (The computers flagged it because my card wasn't present as it was an online purchase).  When I told the CSR that I was not trying to charge that, the CSR told me "No problem we'll take care of it."  The very next day UPS delivered a new card to me.  Not having a preset spending limit is great especially when renting a car or checking into a hotel where the merchant might hold a deposit.  You don't have to worry about not being able to continue using your card because of a portion of your credit line being held. 

As far as points go, I use the card for all my day to day spending and the points add up.  I hear gripes about not enough points, etc, but I don't know what people are trying to do.  I earn enough to use them for a yearly vacation....no the entire trip isn't covered but I usually have enough to cover the hotel or the flight.  Travel services are great, I've had to contact them to change a flight due to impending snow and it wasn't a hassle.

The annual fee, $95, that breaks down to about $7.91 per month +/-.  To have a card that offers the benefits, the customer service, the acceptance....all well worth it in my opinion.  I've never had the card questioned, denied, or anything negative happen in regards to using the card.  I can't imagine traveling without it. Perhaps someday I'll upgrade to the Gold for the hotels collection but for now, the card meets my needs.  All in all, a fantastic card. 

Message 49 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I absolutely love my American Express Green Card for many reasons.  I read posts on here all the time that people gripe about the points and that it has a "limit", etc..  The limit is per purchase, not a total credit line.  So what I've done, is contacted American Express the two times I've charged over $5k on a single purchase.  All American Express did was want to know where the charge would come from so the computer wouldn't flag it. 

The customer service is phenomenal.  I have never had any problems whatsoever.  American Express contacted me, because someone had gotten my number, and was trying to charge $9K at Wal-Mart (The computers flagged it because my card wasn't present as it was an online purchase).  When I told the CSR that I was not trying to charge that, the CSR told me "No problem we'll take care of it."  The very next day UPS delivered a new card to me.  Not having a preset spending limit is great especially when renting a car or checking into a hotel where the merchant might hold a deposit.  You don't have to worry about not being able to continue using your card because of a portion of your credit line being held. 

As far as points go, I use the card for all my day to day spending and the points add up.  I hear gripes about not enough points, etc, but I don't know what people are trying to do.  I earn enough to use them for a yearly vacation....no the entire trip isn't covered but I usually have enough to cover the hotel or the flight.  Travel services are great, I've had to contact them to change a flight due to impending snow and it wasn't a hassle.

The annual fee, $95, that breaks down to about $7.91 per month +/-.  To have a card that offers the benefits, the customer service, the acceptance....all well worth it in my opinion.  I've never had the card questioned, denied, or anything negative happen in regards to using the card.  I can't imagine traveling without it. Perhaps someday I'll upgrade to the Gold for the hotels collection but for now, the card meets my needs.  All in all, a fantastic card. 

Sounds like to me that the Premier Rewards Gold would be up your alley.

Message 50 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.