cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

tag
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: What is the allure of the Amex Green card?

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

And I'm on their BL.  So I can't even have a green card.  Sigh.  Maybe Warren B will payoff my debt and they will let me back in?  I will send him a goodwill letter!

Have you apped for one of their cards lately?  I was on the BL or many years, but it seems I am now solidly off.

Message 21 of 93
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I think I will be on their BL for a very long time.  My BK is only 18 months old and I left them holding about 20K of worthless IOU's.

I owe them a HUGE debt of gratitude -- much more than the money.  When I missed one payment in my repayment plan, they SUED ME!  

It was just the push I needed.  I went straight to a BK lawyer, gave him my last 2K, and three months later 100K of debt was gone.

Had AMEX not sued me, I would have been plugging along paying that debt off for probably a decade.  They would have at least collected their interest.

They insisted on 1K/month minimum payments when I had NO MONEY.  Chase worked with me, accepted $300/month and was incredibly nice.  I felt really bad about them when I filed because I owed them about 50K.

So I will always have a special place in my heart for AMEX.  They helped me do what I couldn't do for myself.

And 18 months later I am happy, debt free, and have over 100K in credit lines.

And I sleep well at night.  And my phone doesn't ring.

AMEX didn't understand long-term illness and being unemployed for nearly two years.  They just didn't give a flip.

Message 22 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one and honestly the reason I have it is to make extremely larger purchases. In hindsight I probably would have went for the PRG but at the time I didn't really understand the whole "points system" of any credit card and being that I didn't understand and felt I didn't need/want point the 175 AF made no since in this situation. I believe this the reason many get the card.
Message 23 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you really need something like that the lending criteria for the Green and the PRG is the same, and I believe the platinum also.  I'd love to have one, but I don't love the annual fee.  The BCP and CSP I'm planning on are plenty. 

Message 24 of 93
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Rich don't stay rich throwing money away. Berkshire Hathaway would have separate cards for large spend and ways to use points. Buffett would want a low AF low maint personal card. He doesn't need plane tickets or gift cards and surely wouldn't want to waste time figuring out how to spend points. His time is more valuable. 

Green card is just a cheaper charge card, the first charge card for American Express. 

It's very recognizable, it's cheap and hipsters love them!

Other than that there's no benefit. Lol

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 25 of 93
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I think the allure until recently was that it was another card for backdating that was easy to get. If that door is closed the only reason I see to get it is nostalgia. 

Message 26 of 93
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:

I think the allure until recently was that it was another card for backdating that was easy to get. If that door is closed the only reason I see to get it is nostalgia. 

And that's some pricey nostalgia right there. Unless you have no need for points that is.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 27 of 93
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

My Dad had one in the 70's and 80's..that's good enough for me. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 28 of 93
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......you hit it right on target for most who have this card....it is the nostalgia.   For the younger folks here it makes no sense as there are limited rewards but for the old coons here it is a reminder of times past.   I have one MSD 80.....I upgraded to the PRG but called and cancelled just because I like the way it looks and what it once stood for.

Message 29 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone here know the underwriting criteria in order to get the AMEX green?

Message 30 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.