Super Contributor

What is the approval criteria for discover now a days?

What is the approval criteria for discover now a days?
New Contributor

Re: What is the approval criteria for discover now a days?

are you being serious?
New Contributor

reason i ask because of your sig

"Goals for 2009 - No New Accounts"

how many new accounts are you for 2009 already?

as far as Discover i think they are more lenient than they used to be

Senior Contributor

I'm interested in Discover also.  I have been told that apps from Texas pull TU exclusively.  Anyone confirm?  Also, are they a good reward card and do they give reasonably high CL on app?  Last question, are they instant approve with CL or do they approve and then send CL with card 10 days latter (like CapOne)?

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
I can tell you this they don't like new accounts or inquries no matter what your score is. I applied last year an was denied for to many new accounts an inquries i had no baddies on my TU report an my score was 724 at the time i applied. I was told over the phone if i didn't have the new accounts i could have easily been approved for there card was told a wait 2 years an reapply.
Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 03-28-2009 07:04 PM

Starting Score 3-31-08: EQ 582 TU 577 EX 625
Current Score 3-19-10: EQ 703 TU 712 EX No Clue
Goal Score: 800 By January Of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

thoughts1 wrote:
are you being serious?

lol

Starting Score 3-31-08: EQ 582 TU 577 EX 625
Current Score 3-19-10: EQ 703 TU 712 EX No Clue
Goal Score: 800 By January Of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor

thoughts1 wrote:

reason i ask because of your sig

"Goals for 2009 - No New Accounts"

how many new accounts are you for 2009 already?

as far as Discover i think they are more lenient than they used to be

No, I am not apping, just curious and asking, I can live with out it for another 12 months. Discover is the only major card I do not have ( except HSBC Discover). I have not apped for any new personal card in 2009. BestBuy Rewards Zone MC, I applied in November and got it in Jan. For Business I applied for PLUM / Amex Biz Platinum. I got approved for Plum Card. I have no plans to apply for any personal cards in 2009. I want my accounts to age and reach 700 club. To be honest, I have so many personal / biz cards, it is slowly getting harder for me to keep track of accounts. Now spring is around the corner, I want to spend time playing golf and expand the business and increase revenues.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
I was approved for Discover More card on March 16. They pulled Transunion. I received a 12,500 CL. My TU score at the time was 767 with no inq and no new accounts. I was very pleased with that. I love the USA flag card. The decision was instant and online.
Message Edited by GomerPyle on 03-28-2009 05:47 PM
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

My approval was early March also. They pulled my worst report, EQ, the only one still reporting 2001 BK and only one showing an almost 7 yr old, unpaid Med. bill. I believe my score at the time must have been 710-720. I  received instant approval and I believe they gave me my CL ($5000) instantly also.

Don't count on a TU pull...the credit pull data base I check shows a lot of EX pulls in TX. also...a few EQ.

When they softed me for a pre-approval several months ago they checked EX. Not sure why I let that pre-approval slip by and did cold app instead. Glad I did though because in the meantime I managed to have an old baddie that was incorrectly reporting as new removed from my EQ report.

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 03-28-2009 06:11 PM
Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 03-30-2009 03:59 PM
Regular Contributor

I applied in Feb. and they pulled TU for me in Arizona.  My score at that time was 780 after 5 new accounts and 5 inquiries.  They declined due to inquiries and new accounts.  Guess I should have tried them first.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.