cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best 5% cash back card out there.

tag
RonDawg
Contributor

What is the best 5% cash back card out there.

I have the US Bank Cash + card and I think it is the best for me, Anyone tell me their opinions of the best 5% cash back card and why?

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
HiLine
Blogger

Re: What is the best 5% cash back card out there.

Discover More, thanks to ShopDiscover and top notch customer service. 

Message 2 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Shop discover rocks for travel! If I had cash + that would be a major contender
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 22
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Discover is great, esp if you can use things from "Shop Discover" (Which I found I can and have saved quite a bit that way).  So I'm rather impressed by Discover More since getting it.  Some discounts on there come in handy.

Chase is about as good though I don't use any Chase online shopping partners.

PenFed is good for the 5% cash back if paid at the pump, though they changed that card and I don't think anyone can apply for it anymore, the cash back is automatically applied to the balance each month.  Have not switched to the new card as of yet.  They are also a bit harder to get than most.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 22
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Discover is great, esp if you can use things from "Shop Discover" (Which I found I can and have saved quite a bit that way).  So I'm rather impressed by Discover More since getting it.  Some discounts on there come in handy.

PenFed is good for the 5% cash back if paid at the pump, though they changed that card and I don't think anyone can apply for it anymore, the cash back is automatically applied to the balance each month.  Have not switched to the new card as of yet.  They are also a bit harder to get than most.

I recently got the PenFed cash back card. You can choose between their "rewards" card or their cash back version.  We get a statement credit each month that effectively pays for a tank of gas. Very nice card.

I also use the 5% Discover categories.

Message 5 of 22
distantarray
Established Contributor

in my opinion

1. US Bank Cash+ 

2. Amex BCP

3. Chase Freedom (6.25%+ with trifecta for travel) Also VERY intensive online shopping mall for extra points on everything I ever need.

4. Citi Forward

5. Discover More

Also with Chase Trifecta Combo  + BCP you'll get 4.625%+ on gas so don't really need a gas card like PenFED imo...It'd save me less than $10 a year on average.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 22
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

I recently got the PenFed cash back card. You can choose between their "rewards" card or their cash back version.  We get a statement credit each month that effectively pays for a tank of gas. Very nice card.

I also use the 5% Discover categories.

I'm glad you spotted my post and replied with that info!   I was under the impression from the letter they sent not long ago (ok, it was early this year lol)  that they were ending the 5% cash back type Platinum and we'd eventually be forced into the point system (which I consider a pain in comparison).

I'm sure other forum members will be happy to know they can still apply for the card of choice as well!

Thanks Jazzzy!

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 7 of 22
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

in my opinion

1. US Bank Cash+ 

2. Amex BCP

3. Chase Freedom (6.25%+ with trifecta for travel) Also VERY intensive online shopping mall for extra points on everything I ever need.

4. Citi Forward

5. Discover More

Also with Chase Trifecta Combo  + BCP you'll get 4.625%+ on gas so don't really need a gas card like PenFED imo...It'd save me less than $10 a year on average.

I think if people do the math in most cases the relative differences in savings betweens cards does turn out to be small, often dominated by the size of the sign up bonus and of course where you do your spending.   That said:

Penfed Rewards (which DOESN'T give a statement credit each month, instead you can get prepaid visa gift cards after $25 in points) apart from 5% on gas gives unlimited 3% on groceries.   With the cap on BCP, this is of great value to people with high grocery spend.

Message 8 of 22
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

in my opinion

1. US Bank Cash+ 

2. Amex BCP

4. Citi Forward

5. Discover More

I think if people do the math in most cases the relative differences in savings betweens cards does turn out to be small, often dominated by the size of the sign up bonus and of course where you do your spending.   That said:

Penfed Rewards (which DOESN'T give a statement credit each month, instead you can get prepaid visa gift cards after $25 in points) apart from 5% on gas gives unlimited 3% on groceries.   With the cap on BCP, this is of great value to people with high grocery spend.

The PenFed CASH Rewards card (exactly how it's labeled) does give an automatic statement credit each month (but you miss out on the extra % for groceries).  The new Points Rewards does not.

Just so others know it seems that both types of that PenFed card are still available.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 9 of 22
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

in my opinion

1. US Bank Cash+ 

2. Amex BCP

4. Citi Forward

5. Discover More

The PenFed CASH Rewards card (exactly how it's labeled) does give an automatic statement credit each month (but you miss out on the extra % for groceries).  The new Points Rewards does not.

Just so others know it seems that both types of that PenFed card are still available.

Sorry if my comment came out wrong!   I wasn't implying that the Cash Rewards didn't give statement credit, I meant to point out, as a slight negative, that the Platinum Rewards doesn't, as I know a lot of people like the simplicity of statement credit, as compared to having to save points and cash them in for some other form of credit.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.