cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best AMEX revolver to app for?

tag
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Re: What is the best AMEX revolver to app for?

@subwaysandwich wrote:
OP, you sure this app is for your "friend" and indeed not for yourself?..

Haha, I knew someone would think that.  I promise, it is a friend.  I wish my scores were as good as his lol.

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 20
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Thoughts on approval chances?  He recently got a prescreen mail offer from Amex for the green card.  We plugged it into the Amex site to look for any offers and they only came back with the green charge.  That is the card he had before with them.  He thinks he also had a revolver for a time but he can't remember because he closed these accounts years ago.  

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

My Experian score at the time of the app was 721 and I was approved for the BCP at $6,000. Charge cards are easier to get, but I don't think your friend will have any issues in the revolver card that he picks. Just with AMEX doing soft pulls on his account like that and sending pre-screened offers in the mail means the odds should be in his favor. Let us know how it goes!! 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 13 of 20
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I am thinking about picking up a BCE or BCP myself. I will might apply for the BCE, since I don't live near many US supermarkets or US gas stations. But, if you do live near such things, the BCP earns more rewards with a fairly minimal amount of grocery spending.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:
I am thinking about picking up a BCE or BCP myself. I will might apply for the BCE, since I don't live near many US supermarkets or US gas stations. But, if you do live near such things, the BCP earns more rewards with a fairly minimal amount of grocery spending.

And my current PSA, under the title "Friends don't let friends app for the BCE":  For small supermarket/gas spending, Sallie Mae will give much better rewards than BCE.  For bigger amounts, choose the BCP, and for amounts above say $10K, go for Blue Cash.    Or if you want MR, wait for the new cards.   Unless you need an Amex for whatever reason, there is no real niche where BCE makes sense.

Message 15 of 20
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
And my current PSA, under the title "Friends don't let friends app for the BCE":  

Yes, you are right.  In my case, I will probably apply for the SallieMae card instead of Amex.  Hopefully, OP will find the right card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 16 of 20
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

I have the BCP and it's already paid itself for the AF.  Now positioning my scores and TLs for the Amex Blue Cash.  

My wife has the BCE and BC.  She's complaining because she doesn't spend much to benefit from the BC while BCE doesn't offer much back.  

For most people I highly recommend BCP to start and once maxed out the $6500 grocery/gas spend upgrade to the BC.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 17 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

For most people I highly recommend BCP to start and once maxed out the $6500 grocery/gas spend upgrade to the BC.

Not sure what you mean here.  Spending on the BCP doesn't count towards the $6,500 needed on the BC, any more that meeting the minimum spend on say a Chase United card also meets the minimum spend on a CSP.

Message 18 of 20
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

It means since the BCP has no AF the first year one should give it a try to see it's worth the benefits.  The BC is for higher spender who goes over $6000 in the gas/drug/grocery categories. 

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Not sure what you mean here.  Spending on the BCP doesn't count towards the $6,500 needed on the BC, any more that meeting the minimum spend on say a Chase United card also meets the minimum spend on a CSP.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 19 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Fico2Go wrote:
It means since the BCP has no AF the first year one should give it a try to see it's worth the benefits.  The BC is for higher spender who goes over $6000 in the gas/drug/grocery categories. 

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Just to clarify, the BCP AF is billed on the first statement

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.