Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best Visa and best Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best Visa and best Mastercard

What is the best Visa card and best Mastercard in terms of CASH BACK rewards.

Things I do care about:
No annual fee
Electronic crediting of the reward (Take .5% off the reward for deciding which one's the best if it's not electronic, to compensate for the hassle)
Issued by a company that provides good cardholder service (Doesn't have a history of screwing people out of rewards, doesn't make it a hassle to contest unauthorized use, etc..)
Preferably timely and automatic crediting of the reward (Monthly is a plus, yearly is ok, if you manually have to redeem it, that's a minus, I don't like to have to think about things like this, it should just happen automatically)
Although this might sound stupid: No financing fees as long as you pay by the due date. I've heard of cards that start charging you fees as soon as you make the purchase!
If the card looks nice, that's always a plus Smiley Happy (preferably something transparent!)
Capability to manage your account online.

Things I DON'T care about:
APR
Late fees
Minimum payments
Cash advances (in fact, I'd prefer if my cards disallowed cash advances, just in case I get a card lost or stolen)
Introductory offers (I want a good card that I can keep forever, what happens in the first 6/12 months doesn't matter. This includes rewards!)
Rewards only given at certain intervals, as long as the intervals are $200 or under each time.

I currently have a Power Rewards Platinum Plus card from BofA, and their rewards program is garbage. You can get some waaaay overpriced merchandise w/ very limited selection for your points, or you can get cash.. (different ratios at different levels). I had enough to trade 10000 points for $80 (1$ spent = 1 point btw), which isn't that great, but I was OK with it. Then I found out the only way to get it is have it mailed to you as a check. This is when I decided I'm not using this garbage card anymore. For them to intentionally make it hard to redeem rewards is extremely unreasonable. When the entire financial industry is pushing for stuff like electronic statements, how ridiculous is it that they'll only issue reward checks by mail?

One good card I've heard of was the Merrill Lynch cash back card, but I'm sure there's tons of good visa and mastercards out there.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: What is the best Visa and best Mastercard

Don't forget Amex  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:
Don't forget Amex Smiley Happy

I already got Amex Blue Cash.. I just need a visa/MC since not every merchant takes amex Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

These sound pretty good:

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal/cards

Also:

Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards

I don't have any of these cards though so can't say anything regarding their CSR, CLI, etc.
Message 4 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

The best MC/VISA card is the one that I "borrow"

Take a look at some of the CUs.  Also some speciality cards may give you more in areas (Air Miles/Discounts) that you might want more then the cash.

Its too bad Southwest Airlines has a yearly fee since their travel rewards are great.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 22
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Penfed's Visa plat cashback card offers full 5% at gas station; 1.25% cashback on everything else and no AF

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sya Penfed but rumor has it no CLIs unless hard pulled.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

That penfed one looks pretty good. Almost the same rates as amex blue cash AFTER the 6500 minimum.

Btw, what do you mean by "hard pulled"?
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

fail2deliver wrote:
That penfed one looks pretty good. Almost the same rates as amex blue cash AFTER the 6500 minimum.

Btw, what do you mean by "hard pulled"?

LOL! It probably won't matter to you they do a hard inq on your reports to increase your limit most times.  Might want to look in Nasa FCU, they seem to be a lot more generous than others as well as Justice FCU.

I have PenFed and love it.

Forgot to add - before opening a checking account take a good hard look at all their products.  They have all you can eat.  If you need to refi your car or a sig loan, they will not pull you again as long as you request in in the first 90 days, they will go off the initial pull.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-15-2007 08:31 PM

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-15-2007 08:32 PM
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't need another checking acct, just the card Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.