cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best card to use at the following retail stores for rewards?

tag
RockySC
Established Member

Re: What is the best card to use at the following retail stores for rewards?

How hard is that card to get exactly? I've applied for, and been approved for, a number of cards the last month already. This one sure seems like it would help us a lot though.

Message 11 of 32
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

That cap doesn't mean much to us right now since that is what we spend a month anyway, or less. So Amazon counts for 5% back as well, does that mean everything that is sold by Amazon? If so this card sounds to just about eliminate our Blue Cash Everyday and our Amazon Chase card.

I agree.  However, if there's a chance that you spend more than $250/month on gas, the BCE could cover that unless you have another card that earns 2% or more on gas purchases. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 12 of 32
Leadberry
Established Contributor

The card is backed by Barclaycard, so I'd imagine it'd be the same as any other Barclaycard:  have decent stats and not too much new credit.  You may want to search or start a new thread on that one though.  There are many here who can give you better info than I can.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 13 of 32
RockySC
Established Member

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Screw it, I'm taking the dive right now. I'll report back soon...

In the meantime, how about the other two stoers I mentioned in the OP? Anything good for that sort of thing?

Message 14 of 32
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

How hard is that card to get exactly? I've applied for, and been approved for, a number of cards the last month already. This one sure seems like it would help us a lot though.

Barclay pulls TU.  How does your TU CR look like?  Also, Barclays is known to be very inquiry & new accounts sensitive.....so that may be an issue especially if not instantly approved & you try for a re-con.

Other than that, their underwriting guidelines for the Sallie Mae appears to be consistent with other cards you already have, i.e. your BCE & QS.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 15 of 32
RockySC
Established Member

Well, I got approved for the SM MC instantly and they gave me a CL of $3,800 as well. I really can't wait go receive this one!

Message 16 of 32
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@RockySC wrote:

Well, I got approved for the SM MC instantly and they gave me a CL of $3,800 as well. I really can't wait go receive this one!

Congrats!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 32
RockySC
Established Member

Thanks tinuviel!

I keep seeing people saying to check the merchant category codes for this and that. Where are the links to do so for MC and Visa?

Message 18 of 32
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

Grats!

FICO Scores 800+
Message 19 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

That cap doesn't mean much to us right now since that is what we spend a month anyway, or less. So Amazon counts for 5% back as well, does that mean everything that is sold by Amazon? If so this card sounds to just about eliminate our Blue Cash Everyday and our Amazon Chase card.

Redemption is also much better than the Amex BCE.  Rewards post as the transaction posts, and you can redeem them without waiting for the statement to close.  In contrast, you have to wait for the statement after the current one to get the rewards.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.