cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best deal on CC for getting miles for Free Airline Ticket?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the best deal on CC for getting miles for Free Airline Ticket?

techno-pagan wrote:
As other's have stated, it really depends on which airline you will be flying. 

For me the Chase United Skymiles works best - I have good availability out of my home airport (Dulles) and many are direct flights.  Also United is part of the Star Alliace so you can fly other airlines and the miles can be credited to your United account.

Right now they are offering the card with 25,000 bonus miles (enough for a free domestic flight) and no annual fee for the first year (it is normally $60).  I fly about 25K miles per year and get another 25K miles from the card so to me the $60 is worth it.

This is also useful for award availability - but I do find United to be pretty good.  I just used USAir miles I had in an old account for a trip to San Diego (on United) and my sister used her USAir miles for a trip to Tokyo (Again on United and Canada Air).  It cost her $75 and 60,000 miles - but my ticket was $1500 so I think she got a deal.

My San Diego trip was $15 and 25,000 miles - I was looking to burn the USAir miles since I do all my travel on United now (and/or credit the miles to United).

Message Edited by techno-pagan on 08-10-2008 12:04 PM

Message Edited by techno-pagan on 08-10-2008 12:06 PM

that was before now most major airline charge 50 to 350 dollars plus miles for a ticket plus other fees like 25 dollars for each bag, fuel surcharge, airport fees and taxes. And their reward seats where cut in half now is nearly impossible to get a seat with miles.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merrill + - 25,000 points (1 point per dollar) equals a ticket (domestic or international) up to $500 in value (ie a 2% return). No Annual Fee, but they do not give you points to start with, unless they are running a promotion I dont know about.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I only fly Continental. I got the Chase Continental rewards Mastercard last June. I'm very happy with it. I got 15K miles to start, and when you purchase airfare with the card online at continental.com
they give you double miles. You can also earn double miles at certain businesse, like CVS, and Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

I funnel all of my monthly expenses through the card, and I was able to obtain 2 free tickets this past  year: One to Florida, and the other to Lisbon, Portugal.Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Navy Federal Flagship Rewards card is no question the single best card out there. 2.5% back redeemable for tickets on any airline with no blackout dates. Not to mention you can pay for part of the ticket with points and the rest of the ticket with your card.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

carlos1102 wrote:

that was before now most major airline charge 50 to 350 dollars plus miles for a ticket plus other fees like 25 dollars for each bag, fuel surcharge, airport fees and taxes. And their reward seats where cut in half now is nearly impossible to get a seat with miles.

It was June - I just checked - no change.  It all depends on the airline of course.  The amazing thing was she did the whole thing two weeks before we left (I had to cancel a business trip - but kept the "personal" part in Tokyo - she retired and decided to join me...

Also I do have "status" so that helps.  The actual charge is for 911 fees and airport PFC - and since I called to make the ressie rather than doing it online.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.