cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best rewards card for monthly spend of over $2k?

tag
imacreative
Established Member

What is the best rewards card for monthly spend of over $2k?

My wife and I currently use shared MC cc issued by my bank for our daily purchases. we seem to average a little over $2k/mo and pay in full all the time. It's a rewards card with 10.9% APR and currently at 18 month/no interest. CL is $20k.

I'm wondering if there is any other rewards or cash back card out there I should apply for that I should take advantage of. FICO scores: EX: 778, TU:740, EQ: 775.

outside of that card, I have a AMEX Gold which I've had since 2006.

thank you.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: What is the best rewards card for monthly spend of over $2k?

@imacreative wrote:

My wife and I currently use shared MC cc issued by my bank for our daily purchases. we seem to average a little over $2k/mo and pay in full all the time. It's a rewards card with 10.9% APR and currently at 18 month/no interest. CL is $20k.

I'm wondering if there is any other rewards or cash back card out there I should apply for that I should take advantage of. FICO scores: EX: 778, TU:740, EQ: 775.

outside of that card, I have a AMEX Gold which I've had since 2006.

thank you.

what category does most of that spend fall on?

you can check out cards that give out bonuses on specific categories.

Other than that, are u interested in specific airline miles, hotel points, general rewards points program, or do you prefer cashback?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 12
imacreative
Established Member

The categories we usually spend on are: gas, dining, bills and entertainment. We don't travel frequently, so general rewards or cash back cards are appealing. 

Message 3 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@imacreative wrote:

The categories we usually spend on are: gas, dining, bills and entertainment. We don't travel frequently, so general rewards or cash back cards are appealing. 

Citi doublecash gives you 2% for everything.

you can also consider US Bank Cash+. Gives you 5% on dining (up to 2k each 3 months), 2% on gas (if you choose those categories), 1% on everything else.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 12
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@imacreative wrote:

Citi doublecash gives you 2% for everything.

you can also consider US Bank Cash+. Gives you 5% on dining (up to 2k each 3 months), 2% on gas (if you choose those categories), 1% on everything else.

Also:

Sallie Mae Mastercard: Gas and Groceries 5% CB on first $250 per month on each of those two items, plus 5% on first $750 on Amazon + bookstores. 1% on everything else.

Discover It and Chase Freedom also offer good 5% rotating categories that cover gas, dining, entertainment, and shopping in different quarters of the year.

Message 5 of 12
uswala
Senior Contributor

@imacreative wrote:

Chase AARP gives you 3% on gas and dining.

Rest good cards people have already recommended above.

Message 6 of 12
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Get a Sallie Mae for both you and the wife, 5% cash back on first $250 gas (each) and $250 on groceries (each) per month. Maybe a dedicated dining card like the AARP to round it out. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 7 of 12
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Citi Double Cash

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bada_bing wrote:

Get a Sallie Mae for both you and the wife, 5% cash back on first $250 gas (each) and $250 on groceries (each) per month. Maybe a dedicated dining card like the AARP to round it out. 

+1

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like Sallie Mae rounds down cash back vales. Can anyone confirm this?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.