cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best time of year to apply for a credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best time of year to apply for a credit card?

I am new to the forums. I've been reading them on and off for the last 4-5 months. I am attempting to rebuild my credit. The only recent addition to my credit is my car loan that I've had for 8 months(all paid on time). My FACO scores are: EQ 546 EX 574 TU 545 The only FICO score I have is for EQ 578. I would really like to apply for a CC but I don't want the CCC's to think it is for the holiday season. Please advise....

Message Edited by getitright1 on 12-15-2007 03:25 PM
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the best time of year to apply for a credit card?

Depends on the card.  Store cards are more generous around the holidays to boost sales.  However, some majors tighten standards at the same time.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I an not sure that I can get approved for any charge cards...Any suggestions?
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart maybe 150.00
Tqrget maybe 200.00

depends on how recent the lates or badies are.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of mine are pretty old. I think my newest late date active was in 2003...If that makes any since...Again I'm pretty new at all this.
Message 5 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I am new to the forums. I've been reading them on and off for the last 4-5 months. I am attempting to rebuild my credit. The only recent addition to my credit is my car loan that I've had for 8 months(all paid on time). My FACO scores are: EQ 546 EX 574 TU 545 The only FICO score I have is for EQ 578. I would really like to apply for a CC but I don't want the CCC's to think it is for the holiday season. Please advise....

Message Edited by getitright1 on 12-15-2007 03:25 PM

I know it's helpful to add revolving credit to what you have when you're rebuilding, but if you could hold off and keep cleaning up what you've got, and get closer to around 620, you'd have much better cards to choose from. Besides the recent car loan, do you have any older cards with balances? Paying them down or off will do wonders for your scores (tough this time of year! Smiley Wink )

If you are willing to post what's currently on your credit reports, you could get some good specific advice for your situation.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect since.  I've actually seen some poster say they had success getting the Hooters MC with scores in your range.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only had 1 CC. I ended up paying for it twice. I originally settled with the CCC for about 5 something but I was 30 dollars short so the whole debt was sold to the CA. I then paid the CA 1700 on top of the 500. But its all paid now.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember reading a thread a while ago stating what info to list from my CR but I don't remember. Let me know I'll list it; I need all the help I can get.
Message 9 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sounds like Hooters might be the way to go --the name gives me pause, LOL, but they give good credit limits, and seem to have friendly and helpful CSR's.

I think they pull TU? --It might be worth investing in your other two FICO's to see what you're working with. They might actually be a good bit higher than your EQ, as with my scores. Check the 40-zillion Hooters threads here to see which CRA they pull.

Before you buy your scores, be sure to go online and Google FICO discount code or FICO coupon for at least 10% off. Also, FICO customer service will give you a code over the phone.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.