cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to redeem your AMEX MR Points?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: What is the best way to redeem your AMEX MR Points?

@xgac12x wrote:

Okay. Probably England, France, Maybe Germany, im not sure yet. But its an idea and definitely would like to start saving all these points for a trip out there

As mentioned above London is huge on fees. Maybe you can look into one way awards. Like fly one way into germany (some great airlines you can do that with. Travel by train into France (or into Belgium). From Brussels or Paris you can take the highspeed train into London. Depending on how much time you have you could also head over to Spain and see about maybe catching an Iberia flight back. The trick is to figure out where you want to go and then sorting out the flights Some award redemptions will have fuel surcharges and some places will impose other fees when flying out from their airports. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 32
elim
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:
Well a bunch of my friends and I are planning a trip to Europe next year, so that's why I was looking to use my PRG for everything and save up all the points. I was looking to transfer to an airline but I wasn't sure which one. From the looks of it the Avios with BA? Thanks

Where in Europe do you plan on visiting. If you are heading toward western or central Europe I would think about trying to pool enough points for an premium class trip on SQ. They fly direct from JFK to Frankfurt i believe. BA has 500+ surcharges so i would throw them out. I think you can still do Aer lingus if you don't mind stopping in ireland I think. 

+1     Aer Lingus Boston to Dublin round trip for 2 = 50k Avios (no fuel surcharge). From their you can go anywhere you want in Europe cheap ($110 to London or Paris).

...and Ireland frikin' rocks (rent a car and head west after partying off the jet lag in dublin)

Message 22 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:
Well a bunch of my friends and I are planning a trip to Europe next year, so that's why I was looking to use my PRG for everything and save up all the points. I was looking to transfer to an airline but I wasn't sure which one. From the looks of it the Avios with BA? Thanks

Where in Europe do you plan on visiting. If you are heading toward western or central Europe I would think about trying to pool enough points for an premium class trip on SQ. They fly direct from JFK to Frankfurt i believe. BA has 500+ surcharges so i would throw them out. I think you can still do Aer lingus if you don't mind stopping in ireland I think. 

You could get a suite on that jfk/frankfurt route I believe and it was a great mile price on united miles I think. I was considering it when I was trying to make my turkey/Greece trip work.

If i recall SQ doesn't release seating on UAL anymore. So i am not sure you can do that anymore, i could be wrong though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 23 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

You could get a suite on that jfk/frankfurt route I believe and it was a great mile price on united miles I think. I was considering it when I was trying to make my turkey/Greece trip work.

If i recall SQ doesn't release seating on UAL anymore. So i am not sure you can do that anymore, i could be wrong though. 

Dunno I was looking at open rewards in May. 

;
Message 24 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

I dunno. I could have sworn it was the united site showing it to me, because I remember the saver fare etc. Maybe I was checking krisflyer or something and my mind is just going.

;
Message 25 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

From what i recall reading they are doing what Cathay wants to and resrict the 

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

I think they want to do what Cathay wants to do with restricting premium seating, where only asia miles can be used for award travel . No more transferring alaska air or American airline miles for first class, which is unfortunate. With the BA nerfing i am starting to wonder what best use of MR miles are also. 

Message 26 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

I think they want to do what Cathay wants to do with restricting premium seating, where only asia miles can be used for award travel . No more transferring alaska air or American airline miles for first class, which is unfortunate. With the BA nerfing i am starting to wonder what best use of MR miles are also. 

Is that what Cathay is doing? My understanding is you can still get rewards on Cathay its just that you won't be able to book them way in advance in order to give their own members a chance at award bookings. Right now its frickin stupid with all the banks giving out AA miles and then non-CX customers taking up award seats when they open up in advance and at significantly less miles than what a MP member would pay. Although my understanding was that you will still be able to redeem seats its just that you don't get to pick them up far in advance. 

;
Message 27 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

Not that I blame CX. Of course, that is easy for me to say because I have got my redemption for a trip that I have been working on over the past two years. In the end I think with the changes by Chase and Amex along with the actions being taken by airlines and devals by hotels that being able to travel by awards off a credit card is going to drastically diminish.  

;
Message 28 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

Is that what Cathay is doing? My understanding is you can still get rewards on Cathay its just that you won't be able to book them way in advance in order to give their own members a chance at award bookings. Right now its frickin stupid with all the banks giving out AA miles and then non-CX customers taking up award seats when they open up in advance and at significantly less miles than what a MP member would pay. Although my understanding was that you will still be able to redeem seats its just that you don't get to pick them up far in advance. 

From what i understand they are limiting an lot how much one world parners will have access to firs class availability. Used to be easy to find 5 first class seats 330 days out , but they are limited to maybe 1 or 2 now. What is annoying transferring to Asia miles(cathays mileage program) is such poor value compared to how many miles are needed by alaska and american.

Message 29 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

From what i understand they are limiting an lot how much one world parners will have access to firs class availability. Used to be easy to find 5 first class seats 330 days out , but they are limited to maybe 1 or 2 now. What is annoying transferring to Asia miles(cathays mileage program) is such poor value compared to how many miles are needed by alaska and american.

Don't worry AA is going to deval later this year. 

;
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.