cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to start off with credit?

tag
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

Re: What is the best way to start off with credit?

Are you a student?? If so Discover IT (More card when I applied) gave me my first chance with Credit. I am so grateful for them. I had zero credit at the time; only a checking account.

Also what kind of income if you don't mind me asking...

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 11 of 21
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Discover was who gave me my shot at my own credit card with their student IT card. I tried the Journey and one other student card and neither approved me (didn't know about recon lines at the time). 4 months after opening the IT, Chase gave me a Freedom card (though I've used Chase as my main bank since high school). If you apply for the Discover IT and aren't approved, they sometimes offer you a secured card instead.

You have no credit and thus no inquiries either. If you don't want a secured card, you might have to just pick one mentioned and give it a shot.
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 12 of 21
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

OP, you are pretty limited in options. Now as far as checkings and Savings, I have two accounts, one with Wellfs Fargo and one with BofA. Neither checked my CR and no HP was done. Me personally I would start with a Secured card and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would rather start off with a secured card then jump into a lender like Credit One and First Premier that charge you fees for just using the card.
Message 13 of 21
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Being an authorized user on some else's account isn't really an option for me. The reason I want to avoid secured credit cards is simply that they cost too much money--they tend to have annual fees and require me to deposit money where it's not earning me much in the way of interest. (I'm trying to squirrel away what I can to an IRA.) I'd rather start off with a very low credit limit and no annual fee than a secured card.

That may be true; however, you are not going to keep the secured card for more than a year. At least I didn't. I had my secured card for 6 months, and I then applied to a Discover It card. I got approved for 1.5K at the time, and I was really happy with that. I canceled my secured card, and got my security deposit back. And it has only been getting better for me, as far as approvals and credit limits, since then. I also have to add that Amex backdating helped tremendously. 

Message 14 of 21
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Banks pulls a Chexsystems report on you when they open an account, not a credit report so it won't adversely affect your score.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 15 of 21
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
OP, you are pretty limited in options. Now as far as checkings and Savings, I have two accounts, one with Wellfs Fargo and one with BofA. Neither checked my CR and no HP was done. Me personally I would start with a Secured card and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would rather start off with a secured card then jump into a lender like Credit One and First Premier that charge you fees for just using the card.

+1

I also believe they also return the deposit once you graduate from the card

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 16 of 21
keithB
Established Contributor

"What is the best way to start off with credit?"

>>> Rich parents and lots of money =)

Message 17 of 21
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@keithB wrote:

"What is the best way to start off with credit?"

>>> Rich parents and lots of money =)

LOL!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 18 of 21
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Being an authorized user on some else's account isn't really an option for me. The reason I want to avoid secured credit cards is simply that they cost too much money--they tend to have annual fees and require me to deposit money where it's not earning me much in the way of interest. (I'm trying to squirrel away what I can to an IRA.) I'd rather start off with a very low credit limit and no annual fee than a secured card.

Secured cards get a lot of flack, but that might be your best option with no credit history.   You could try the Cap One or Discover student cards, but if those are a no-go, look into SDFCU's secured card, let it report for 6 months to generate a FICO score and then try for some prime cards.   Even if you had a small deposit, it'd be worth it in the end.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a student card from a major bank with zero credit history as my first card. It even had rewards. I still have it and use it.

If you have a banking relationship with BoA, Chase or Citi try their student versions. They will give you a **bleep** limit but I think that is the best start if you can get it. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.