Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the credit score required for Citi credit card

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the credit score required for Citi credit card

It is somewhat weird with them. I applied before and was denied for too many inquiries. One month ago I was approved with a lot more inquiries than before. Score was about the same at 730-740. They may be skittish about the new accounts that are three months old. You do have a long history, so you should be fine.

Message 11 of 28
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@astritaho1979 wrote:

yes they have so i currently have 3 inquiries on equifax

how did you get 8 new accounts with only a total of 4 inq's? Shopping cart trick?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 12 of 28
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Citi seems to be the strangest lender, at least for me...

My latest app spree results are the following - 

Citi Dividend - 7-10 days message and NOTHING. Called in already twice, both times was told that they are still processing my application, nothing can be done at this time blah-blah-blah etc. But the funniest thing is that they keep sending me their pre-approvals for Simplicity and Thank you preferred almost every 2 weeks - the last one came in just today, while my application is still pending for almost 2 weeks now.

Amex PRG - Instant approval, NPSL

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Instant approval, 5k

In fact, Citi app was the first one in this spree, so it's not like they saw recent inquiries and started to worry - at the time of Citi app I had only 3 recent inquiries on my EX and both of them were ~6 months old. And as far as Chase and Amex were able to approve me instantly, I can suspect that my profile does not look too bad...

So I just simply don't understand this. If you don't like me in for whatever reason, just deny me and that's it. If you like me and want me in - approve me. If you are unsure about something, just give me a call / send me a letter requesting a copy of my tax returns or SSN or utility bill - I'll then think twice if it is worth it. But why keep silence for almost two weeks - that's something I crossed with only dealing with Citi (it's already the second time like this), but not with any other bank anywhere. 

And it's not like I really need their card - actually not at all, I just wanted to complement my collection of good cards with a one with 0% APR for some time. I think I will be writing their executive office pretty soon if I don't get some decision :-)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 13 of 28
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

There is a glich on My transunion and everytime i apply the inq falling off every 3 months

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 14 of 28
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@Sweets8E wrote:

I just recently got approved for a Citi TYP with the scores you see below. I had lots of inquiries on EX. It wasn't instant, but they approved me at $2k.

I see a lot of people with the TYP.   What are the benefits of it (unless used in partnership with the Forward)?  Forward just seems a more useful card, so just like to know why it is popular!

I apped for a foreward a few months ago and they shot me down for too many inquiries. At first, my plan was to use my Chase Southwest card as my "go to" for all of my traveling needs and for earning the most points for purchases toward my flights since they are my preferred carrier. That went out the window when the company that purchased us required us all to use a Corporate Amex for all travel expenses. I've been struggling trying to figure out what to do next since Amex doesn't have an agreement with Southwest. After awhile, I just started looking at other things and figuring out ways to axe store cards in exchange for higher limits with current major cards, and this was what I came up with. Citi will replace my AE, AF, and ShopNBC card. Pretty much, this does it for me as far as credit cards go. It doesn't hurt to have the 1 point per $1 purchase, yada yada yada, and the companion pass thing they mentioned during my account setup. I probably won't get to that point, but as long as I now have the opportunity to axe low limit store cards because I've obtained a decent limit major card, I feel better. Now back to the garden.

EDIT*** Sorry, it's now my lowest interest card at 12.99% APR so that didn't hurt anything either.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 28
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@astritaho1979 wrote:

I dont have to much experience with citi cards for the fact that i never get approved with them for to many inquiries reason all the time

I would like to see if anyone  has any sugestion on this regard

Currently i have 1 inquire at transunion from 3 months ago and 3 at Equifax

Utl 1%----AAOA 5.5 yrs Oldest accoun 12 yrs----- Fico 720 Equifax 708 Transunion

8 New accounts from October Spree

I really need a Citi card for my credit strength strategy

Thanks in advance

Wait a minute...now you know why you got AA on 3 accounts. If you opened 8 new accounts and have those inquiries + you didn't disclose your auto loan and probaly a few inqs from shopping around for that...it leads to the conclusion that you appear risky to lenders. Now back to the question. Citi will probably deny you for the same reasons + new accounts, etc. 

Message 16 of 28
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would wait on apping for a while longer. The 8 new accounts being open recently might give Citi some conserns. Also I have two questions what is a credit strength  strategy also where are the rest of tinquires from your october spree?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 17 of 28
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

By far is the only lender that acts as to we dont mean nothing.I just cant get approved with them.So dont worry your not alone on this one.Good luck though

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
Message 18 of 28
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

Well true  but i also closed 5 of them on my own

Message 19 of 28
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

gone with the wind.I dont even know.They just gone without me doing anything.So all the inq that were approved and all the ones that denied just gone.So did my oldest trade line at Transunion resulting in 35 points down on my tr fico score

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.