cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the criteria of approval for Discover More?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the criteria of approval for Discover More?

I just got approved!!!

But hear my story.....I started building my credit one and a half years ago, the first one is a crappy chase student card($300) which refused to give me a CLI two weeks ago.

The second one was a citi dividend($1200>>$2200). And the third one was an AMEX costco TE($1200>>$3000) I applied last summer. I got an preapproval letter for the More card 3 months ago and went for it, got denied. I immediately got a captial one platinum MC after that. My neighbor who started building her credit decades ago couldn't get discover either, and she got some pretty darn hard to get cards too. I tried it just 3 months after they denied me (I know, I know....it's too short, only 3 months),

and what do you know, I got approved for $1500CL!!! I shared this with my neighbor, and she thought she'd give it a try (it's been 2 years since she applied for a new card)............denied. Her scores were well above 720 and mine was barely 690 (when I applied for AMEX TE, it was below 650.......so I was shocked they approved me too).

This just boggles my mind.......I'll probably ask her for the denial reason when she gets it by mail a few days later....

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CCOCD
Valued Member

Re: What is the criteria of approval for Discover More?

Don't really know either.They approved me a year ago for $4000.00 and I had 4 derogsn my CR.Go figure...

Starting Score: 672
Current Score: EQ ? TU 698
Goal Score: 725

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
JaseT
Established Contributor

@CCOCD wrote:

Don't really know either.They approved me a year ago for $4000.00 and I had 4 derogsn my CR.Go figure...

And they only gave me $2.5k recently with a clean report and 782 FICO.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was quite surprised to be approved for 3k with 1 baddie (pd judgment) and no current credit use.

TU 712.

Granted, I've been generally out of the credit loop/laying low/quiet/letting other stuff fall off for years so maybe it wasn't so surprising.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.