cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the easiest CREDIT CARD to get from AMEXPRESS?

tag
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: What is the easiest CREDIT CARD to get from AMEXPRESS?

@CreditScholar wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Gold Delta has generally been the easiest credit card to obtain from Amex, though none of them really seem to be that hard to get.

This is true when you have your numbers, Koop. Smiley Happy

I have agree with Koop  here in that none of Amex's cards (save the centurion) seem to be difficult to get.

A 700 FICO is easily obtained as long as you haven't screwed up your credit significantly in the past. You don't even have to know how FICO scoring works. As long as you apply for and use credit when needed, don't add a new card too often, and always PIF whatever you purchase, it's quite easy. That's just common sense.

But how easily could either of you obtain the prime credit that you have if you lopped 125 points off your scores??

If you have that much taken off your scores, it's because you've done something seriously wrong. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never had bad credit. I've been in the 700s since I was 20 and been around 800 since my late 20s. It's really not that hard if you follow some basic, common sense principles. A 125 point hit would be something like a CO, which is much more severe than a 30-60-90 day late.

No, just if your score was -125 like the OP. Just saying that when you're starting from there, credit (some credit) may not be as easily attained. Not that there are lates or derogs, just working with those numbers. I agree that 700s are pretty easy to maintain, but there are all sorts of situations that arise and give reason for having to rebuild.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 31 of 39
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

For me the Delta card was a no brainer. I live in NOLA and almost fly Delta exclusively for work. The bag checkin and priority boarding alone are with the AF

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 39
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@espnjunkie wrote:

Applying for the Delta Gold just because it's the "easiest" amex revolver isn't necessarily the most thought out solution. Amex cards usually have quite high annual fees, so make sure that you wuill take advantage of the rewards program the card offers before applying for it. i.e. if you don't fly Delta or live near a Delta hub city, then don't apply for that card haha.

Backdating > AF in my opinion, as is their CLI policy on their revolvers if you can qualify for it.

Can always either PC or just close it later, when we're talking about getting one's foot in the door with any lender, two or three-stepping to one's goal card for those in a rebuilding stage isn't a bad plan.

Certainly for prime folks, yeah skip, but we aren't all there.

        
Message 33 of 39
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Gold Delta has generally been the easiest credit card to obtain from Amex, though none of them really seem to be that hard to get.

This is true when you have your numbers, Koop. Smiley Happy

I have agree with Koop  here in that none of Amex's cards (save the centurion) seem to be difficult to get.

A 700 FICO is easily obtained as long as you haven't screwed up your credit significantly in the past. You don't even have to know how FICO scoring works. As long as you apply for and use credit when needed, don't add a new card too often, and always PIF whatever you purchase, it's quite easy. That's just common sense.

But how easily could either of you obtain the prime credit that you have if you lopped 125 points off your scores??

If you have that much taken off your scores, it's because you've done something seriously wrong. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never had bad credit. I've been in the 700s since I was 20 and been around 800 since my late 20s. It's really not that hard if you follow some basic, common sense principles. A 125 point hit would be something like a CO, which is much more severe than a 30-60-90 day late.

No, just if your score was -125 like the OP. Just saying that when you're starting from there, credit (some credit) may not be as easily attained. Not that there are lates or derogs, just working with those numbers. I agree that 700s are pretty easy to maintain, but there are all sorts of situations that arise and give reason for having to rebuild.

We all started there, as nobody begins their credit life with an 800 FICO. The only question is: what have you done since then? If you haven't seriously screwed up, then you should easily be at 700. That was the original point I was trying to make.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 39
Kwao
Established Member

What's the difference between the charge card and the credit card?

Message 35 of 39
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Kwao wrote:

What's the difference between the charge card and the credit card?

Charge cards do not have a visible limit to the customer and you usually can not keep a balance from month to month. Credit cards do let you know your limit and you can keep a balance for as long as you like, as long as you pay the minimum payment. In my opinion credit cards are better. I do not keep a balance, but charge cards do not report a limit and that is not too good when apply for other cards.

I also do not recommend someone to get a card they do not want (charge card) just because they think it will make American Express happy. You do not need to have any history with American Express or a long history to get a good limit credit card with them; I am proof of that. As long as you have always had on time payments you should be fine. The charge card seems a waste because it is another account, most likely with an annual fee, and if approved for the credit card that is two inquiries just for one card. Inquiries are not everything, but some lenders are very sensitive to them.

Message 36 of 39
CS800
Super Contributor

With AMEX it's a gamble. I have seen EX FICO as low as 645 getting a BCE. Not even joking. It was a good friend of mine and his CL was $2K with income of $65K, most recent baddies 2 years ago.

Message 37 of 39
daveg38
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

With AMEX it's a gamble. I have seen EX FICO as low as 645 getting a BCE. Not even joking. It was a good friend of mine and his CL was $2K with income of $65K, most recent baddies 2 years ago.

Ok, so if AMEX is passing out cards with baddies, how would I fare with a 4 yr old judgment (unpaid) and otherwise perfect payments?  No INQ last 1 yr on EX.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 38 of 39
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@daveg38 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Ok, so if AMEX is passing out cards with baddies, how would I fare with a 4 yr old judgment (unpaid) and otherwise perfect payments?  No INQ last 1 yr on EX.

www.whogavemecredit.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.