Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the fico needed for Amex CLI?

tag
halos24
Frequent Contributor

What is the fico needed for Amex CLI?

Ok I have had the Amex TU card for over a year and god they will not give me a CL.  I have been able to get one all sf with the exception of Kohl's but Amex just will not show me any love!  I tried again this morning (has been over 61 days) and again was denied.  The letter stated that because of my FICO... it showed that as of Feb 18, 2012 my FICO was 648 Smiley Mad.. I know this is according to their own internal scoring.  Any ways, my question to you all is there or do you know what your FICO was when Amex did grant the CLI? 

My util is high and lots of inquires that about 6 or so are falling off this year.  I am not apping after my latest approval of Cit and two car loans.   I know once I improve with my util which is very high right now I should be good. 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the fico needed for Amex CLI?

After initial approval Amex seems to go by their own internal scoring more than FICO even though it may be a reason listed on denial.  What makes up their internal scoring formula is a massive unknown.  I'm in the same boat so don't feel bad.

Message 2 of 11
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Under the reason which was the FICO it showed the reasons they felt lowered my fico... I am aware of them the inquiries, high util, the one I did not get was experience with the accounts?  Most of the new accounts were opened during the same period Sept 2010 or so. 

I will stay put and be patient I know I have to stop apping as well as pay down my balances.  For now I will be happy I have the Zync, and the Amex TU I am stuck at 1200.  Thanks for the encouragement Smiley Happy... that's why I love the boards!  

Message 3 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The biggest reason was likelty the utility.  Amex really hates high utility.

Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree that you will probably have a better chance of success once your %util is lowered. And boomhower is right ~ AMEX has an internal risk model which takes many things into consideration, so many times it is hard to know exactly what criteria they are looking for.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How long have you had the card?

Current Limit?

Was your score higher when approved?

and after the first 61 days account is open, it moes to 6 months for CLI, but if denied don't know if the 6 months applies.

Message 6 of 11
halos24
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

How long have you had the card?

Current Limit?

Was your score higher when approved?

and after the first 61 days account is open, it moes to 6 months for CLI, but if denied don't know if the 6 months applies.

I opened the card back in Jan 2011 so it is over a year old.  My first amex (was an AU on my husbands cards back 2005) was the Zync in Nov 2010 so I had that for two months before I was approved for the Amex TU.  CL stuck at $1200 I use it heavily for all gas, and Costco trips and PIF every month.  If I remember correctly my score was about EX 664 or so.. I know TU at the time was 674.  My uti has killed me currently at about 60% down from 69% last month.  In addition I have just purchased two car loans in the last 3 months.  I am now going to garden and get my util down or if not all paid off by end of 2013.  I need to be patient I get it, and just happy I am in with Amex, but will try again in two months as I continue to get my util down.

Message 7 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@halos24 wrote:

Ok I have had the Amex TU card for over a year and god they will not give me a CL.  I have been able to get one all sf with the exception of Kohl's but Amex just will not show me any love!  I tried again this morning (has been over 61 days) and again was denied.  The letter stated that because of my FICO... it showed that as of Feb 18, 2012 my FICO was 648 Smiley Mad.. I know this is according to their own internal scoring.  Any ways, my question to you all is there or do you know what your FICO was when Amex did grant the CLI? 

My util is high and lots of inquires that about 6 or so are falling off this year.  I am not apping after my latest approval of Cit and two car loans.   I know once I improve with my util which is very high right now I should be good. 

This has more to do over anything about not getting a CLI. Pay down the debt and the FICO score goes way up. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 11
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Very Happy I will remind myself next time I get ansy about any new cards or cli.... Thanks LSSmiley Happy.

Message 9 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@halos24 wrote:

Curious... what Amex is this? Is it the True Earnings (Costco) card?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.