cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the highest CL I could expect given income?

tag
KLGFCG
New Contributor

What is the highest CL I could expect given income?

I'm just wondering what type of realistic CL I could expect with a ~$30K annual gross income. I don't strictly need a card with a >$10K limit, but gosh, I'd sure like one. Just wondering if it's a realistic goal given my income and situation.

I currently have (all from National City/PNC, where I bank): a $7500 unsecured LOC with a $50 AF, a $6500 1-yr-old rewards VISA (got automatic CLI of $1500 just before the 1 yr anniversary in November), and a $2000 VISA that I got about 8 yrs ago (originally had a $500 limit, I requested to up it to $2000 maybe 3-4 years ago and haven't asked for or received any CLI's since). I also have a $750 Lane Bryant CC and my history shows a "closed for non-use" Best Buy credit card. Pretty much the only thing I use is the rewards card (for the rewards) and I occasionally write checks from the LOC just to keep it open. I'd sort of forgotten the lower limit VISA and just used it for the first time in about a year. I can take or leave the LB card - if I happen to shop there, I'll use it, but I won't be heart broken if it gets closed either. None of the cards carry balances (well, the rewards card usually reports a balance since it's pretty much always in use, but has never had a finance charge on it).

I also have a mortgage that I obtained about 1 yr ago and refinanced in November (with Chase) and a car loan (from National City) that I got last month.

Latest scores from late October (from the refi pull) EX 778, TU 779, and EQ 753. DTI is about 39%.

Ideally, I'd love to get rid of the LOC and its annual fee, but "make up" the CL on the other two cards, hopefully getting at least one to a >$10 K limit. Not really interested in a new card - I have a hard enough time remembering to use the non-rewards one as it is and only remember to use the LOC because I write checks from it as opposed to from my checking account (I really do LIVE on that rewards card - I write maybe 1 check every month, at most). Advice? Suggestions? I guess I'd be happy enough to just leave well enough alone - I have enough available credit in case of a big emergency, and it appears that the rewards card will automatic CLI periodically, based on this year at least. I don't want to get greedy and get declined for CLI's - anybody think I should try though? Any other general suggestions for my situation from the experts (like a 10K CL, I don't need scores in the 800's, but that'd make me pretty happy, too)?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DI
Super Contributor

Re: What is the highest CL I could expect given income?

You can expect an initial credit limit between $4000 - $5000.  But you certainly can obtain higher limits through CLI's.  If you currently have a card with high CL, the next bank may match it.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the highest CL I could expect given income?

You can get a CLI every 6 Months on you National City/PNC. I normally get a $1500 to $2000 CLI by way of the luv button on the site. My card is a little over a year and a half and I went from$7500 to $12,000. I don't khow things r gonna change but I know a few people with large CL's that makes under $30,000. I think some company were going by your score how much u used the card and how much u paid on the balance.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.