Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the limit for Amex cards?

tag
tryingagain62
Contributor

What is the limit for Amex cards?

I've heard that you can have 4 revolvers and unlimited chargers. Can you guys verify this? I have 2 chargers and 4 revolvers all MSD of 1984. I would like to ad a Platinum to the collection if possible.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What is the limit for Amex cards?

@tryingagain62 wrote:

I've heard that you can have 4 revolvers and unlimited chargers. Can you guys verify this? I have 2 chargers and 4 revolvers all MSD of 1984. I would like to ad a Platinum to the collection if possible.

plus business cards.

im guessing with that relationship platinum would be a given... why not upgrade one of your current charge cards? bonus?

Message 2 of 9
tryingagain62
Contributor

I would rather just add another card. I know I could upgrade a card and the old account would stay for 10 years. Would just like to add another charger if possible. I suppose I look at things differently at this stage of my life.

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tryingagain62 wrote:

I would rather just add another card. I know I could upgrade a card and the old account would stay for 10 years. Would just like to add another charger if possible. I suppose I look at things differently at this stage of my life.

just apply then... worse case they ask you to close 1 of the charge to give you the new but doubt it.

Message 4 of 9
tryingagain62
Contributor

I will apply if there are others that have been approved  with more than 2 chargers and 4 revolvers. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity, any idea what the preference is on amex's side? 

Would they prefer we have multiple cards where we allocate our spending? 

Would they prefer dumping all the spending on one card like their platinum? 

Message 6 of 9
jd352
Regular Contributor

At the time I was debating on upgrading my PRG or just app'ing for the Platinum, I had a Zync as well. I was told by the CSR I could apply for the Platinum having both the PRG and Zync active. In the end, I didn't want 3 charge cards. So, I closed the Zync and upgraded the PRG to have just one charge account. But, like I said, I was told I could have 3 charge accounts at one time. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 7 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@jd352 wrote:

At the time I was debating on upgrading my PRG or just app'ing for the Platinum, I had a Zync as well. I was told by the CSR I could apply for the Platinum having both the PRG and Zync active. In the end, I didn't want 3 charge cards. So, I closed the Zync and upgraded the PRG to have just one charge account. But, like I said, I was told I could have 3 charge accounts at one time. 

Did you forgo the sign up bonus? Pay the annual fee? Just curious.

Message 8 of 9
jd352
Regular Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

Did you forgo the sign up bonus? Pay the annual fee? Just curious.

I did forgo the sign up bonus (I know - crazy) But, I was not getting a straight answer from CSRs on both chat and phone if I was eligible for the bonus since I was carrying a charge card at the time of the application. Some said yes, some said no. I didn't want to apply for something taking an additional inquiry, expecting to get something only to be told later on that I was not eligible. The whole, "If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer" seemed confusing for them and myself especially because I received sign up bonuses on both the Zync and PRG already.

Consequently, I have yet to see the AF show up - the 2nd statement cut a few days ago. From what I have read, the AF gets tacked on right away. If it does show up, I am considering just cancelling the card and keeping the EDP. I had expected to travel quite a bit, so I saw the benefit of the Platinum, but those plans have changed a bit and I don't see me getting the most out of the AF. I am hoping they will offer to waive the AF for the first year (if it shows up) when I try to cancel since I didn't receive a bonus for upgrading it. We shall see, that is if they ever tack on the AF.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.