cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of Travel/Miles credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the point of Travel/Miles credit cards?

Whoops! I meant supermarkets not restaurants.
Message 31 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Its alright, your allowed to ask questions. My TR card is kind of useless now too because I put the spend on my AF cards.

Does it at least qualify for earning Diamond In A Day?

Message 32 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash rewards is the % you posted aboved I meant the TR card.

I guess I'll just apply for the QS
Message 33 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Lots of posts on this.   Basically, there are different kinds of "travel" cards.   Some often mentioned here are basically cash-back, such as Venture and Arrival, and they are restricted cashback in that best redemption rate is only for travel.   These are travel cards only in marketing!

Then there are branded airline/hotel cards, where you earn points in their reward program.   At the higher levels, these can give good value, say 3-5cents per point, beating most cash back cards.

Then there are the transfer cards, such as CSP, Amex MR cards, Amex SPG, Citi Prestige/Premier, that allow you to transfer points to a variety of partner reward programs, also enabling high value redemptions.

+1. good summary

Message 34 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Travel Rewards is 1.5% cashback.
Message 35 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tj

I know but can only be used for travel credit
Message 36 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes...better off with the quicksilver if your not traveling. I believe if you bank with BOA, you get 2.25 cashback. Still an okay card..just don't have much use for it.
Message 37 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double Cash is still a better card for transactors.
Message 38 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes..it is the best card for cashback out there but not everyone wants a bunch of cards or can get in with citi. I might actually PC to double cash eventually but if I don't..no biggie. I already have a quicksilver and a TR and I'm barely using these cards as it is.
Message 39 of 80
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
 The fact is that arrival and venture are restricted cashback cards with fees. If one likes them for whatever reason thats their decision but call a spade a spade.

Double Cash has FTF, which makes it useless for... foreign travel.

Really? I wasn't aware they stopped selling international flight tickets in US dollars.

In all seriousness, insofar as one main purpose of a travel card is to earn and accumulate rewards that can be used for travel expenses, the DC and any cashback card - with or witohut FTF does that just fne. FTF is relevant while actually in a foreign country or while purchasing tickets or booking internal travel or entertainment there, but that isn't to say there aren't plenty of foreign travel related transactions that isn't done in domestic currency.

Message 40 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.