cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of Travel/Miles credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the point of Travel/Miles credit cards?

Checked my FICO score through discover and it's 656. I just made 2 payments in full yesterday..so hoping for a decent increase and wait till my score updates to apply for QS. If I made a disocver and BofA payment yesterday, when can I expect my score updated? (i know disocver does it the 19th every month but im sure the bank can see it sooner?).

Message 61 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Answer this very simple question. How is a Venture or Arrival better to "fill gaps" in spend any more than a Double Cash or Fidelity Amex? You're getting the same 2 percent either way. With Venture/Arrival you only get it if the issuer decides your transaction is "travel related".

I just really fail to see the advantage of using them long term. Why seperate your travel expenses onto a Venture or Arrival when there is no extra benefit (okay, there's an 0.1% extra benefit on Arrival)? It just makes little sense to me.

As far as the no FTF argument, it's a fair argument, but I still don't see why you wouldn't want a Quicksilver instead. You're giving up 0.5% to be able to redeem for anything at full value. To each their own I guess.

So whats the diff b/t the DC 2% and the QS 1.5%? You say you can redeem QS 1.5% for anything at full value. Why cant you do this with DC?

Message 62 of 80
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Answer this very simple question. How is a Venture or Arrival better to "fill gaps" in spend any more than a Double Cash or Fidelity Amex? You're getting the same 2 percent either way. With Venture/Arrival you only get it if the issuer decides your transaction is "travel related".

I just really fail to see the advantage of using them long term. Why seperate your travel expenses onto a Venture or Arrival when there is no extra benefit (okay, there's an 0.1% extra benefit on Arrival)? It just makes little sense to me.

As far as the no FTF argument, it's a fair argument, but I still don't see why you wouldn't want a Quicksilver instead. You're giving up 0.5% to be able to redeem for anything at full value. To each their own I guess.

So whats the diff b/t the DC 2% and the QS 1.5%? You say you can redeem QS 1.5% for anything at full value. Why cant you do this with DC?

DC does have an FTF.

If you want a no AF, no FTF card QS is good for 1.5% and no worry about whether your transactions are "travel" or not. If FTF isn't a major consideration, then yes, Double Cash is a full 2%.

Message 63 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This last exchange seems to have got rather too semantic and I suspect all sides could more or less agree on some basic points. My suggestion:

1) For those without a lot of spend that would incur a FTF (which can be spend in a foregin country, or, in some cases, buying an air ticket in the US that is processed by a foreign bank, BA used to do this) you are probably going to do better with a 2% general spend card.   ITo avoid any FTF, consider a Quicksilver or similar, with a slightly lower reward, for that spend

2) If you have a lot of spend that would incur a FTF, and have a lot of travel to redeem against, then the Arrival/Venture can make sense.

3) For non-hotel/airfare travel type expenses above $90K a year, the Arrival can make sense.

Message 64 of 80
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
 The fact is that arrival and venture are restricted cashback cards with fees. If one likes them for whatever reason thats their decision but call a spade a spade.

Double Cash has FTF, which makes it useless for... foreign travel.

Really? I wasn't aware they stopped selling international flight tickets in US dollars.

In all seriousness, insofar as one main purpose of a travel card is to earn and accumulate rewards that can be used for travel expenses, the DC and any cashback card - with or witohut FTF does that just fne. FTF is relevant while actually in a foreign country or while purchasing tickets or booking internal travel or entertainment there, but that isn't to say there aren't plenty of foreign travel related transactions that isn't done in domestic currency.

Buying a ticket is not foreign travel, that's (almost always) a domestic transaction.  Hotel may or may not be domestic.  EVERYTHING ELSE is foreign.  Need a bus ticket?  Slap on a 3% FTF to do.  Need a Eurorail/JR Rail/name your train ticket?  Slap on a 3% FTF.  DC, and any other 2% card that has a FTF, is useless for foreign travel.

Now that Barclay made their card pretty much crap, the only 2% card for travel is the Venture (unless someone knows of another that has no FTF).  Yes, it has an annual fee, but the savings on FTF can be easily made up in a single overseas trip.

Also, useless for any domestic transactions that involve foreign currency, just a heads up.

Signature needs updating
Message 65 of 80
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Buying a ticket is not foreign travel, that's (almost always) a domestic transaction.

And FTF is Foreign Transaction Fee, not foreign "travel" fee. Buying an international ticket is a domestic transaction specifically for the purpose of foreign travel. Since buying a ticket is pretty useful for foreign travel, and often the single largest transaction for foreign travel, one would think, cards that earn high flat rewards, even if they have an FTF are still good cards for at least one of the largest related expenses to foreign travel. Again, insofar as one purpose of a "travel" card is to earn and accumulate rewards, the Double Cash does that just fine.

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that Barclay made their card pretty much crap, the only 2% card for travel is the Venture (unless someone knows of another that has no FTF).  Yes, it has an annual fee, but the savings on FTF can be easily made up in a single overseas trip.

"Easily" is a subjective term. Assuming a 3% FTF, it would take almost $2000 in foreign currency spending - that is, spending other than on air ticket from home to the foreign destination and back. I have had a few overseas trips, and I have never spent more than $2,000 on a single trip without the cost of the air ticket taken into account.

But the broader point is that you do not need a "travel card" to avoid FTFs when they do apply. ALL of Capital One's cards are without FTF (one reason I really like them), not just the venture. Take that into account and the earn rate differential between the QS and the Venture is just 0.5 percentage points, meaning it would take nearly $12,000 in total spend to make up for the Venture's annual fee. If you have other cards that you are maximizing rewards with (e.g. 5% rotating category cards, cards that earn higher than 2% rewards in a given constant category, etc.), this $12K has to be in non-category spend.

The only advantage of the Venture really is the giant credit lines CO is giving out.

Look Venture is a great option card with no FTF.  I travel extensively for business in out of Country and get reimbursed so my cc rewards and benefits I get from my business travel and other business expenses far exceed all my annual fees and then some.  Plus the $400 sign up bonuses for CSP, Amex and Venture were just icing on the cake.

There is no right or wrong answer, it depends on each individual's spend and rewards they want. 

Dranswering (drinking while answering, korbel brandy on sale today).  + 1k to this post.  I believe everyone (at least those closely associated to me with decent scores) should have at least one travel card.  No overspending, since no initial 0% intro.  Card should be dedicated with annual fee.  How 80's credit was handled.  More incentive to spend within means, and earn miles for trip.  I only travel about twice per year, but the bennies are worth it.  If don't get CSP in 2017, looking at southwest and alaska airlines or delta (they are interchangeable).  Right now, us airways works for me, can also use my points on alaska airlines and vise versa.  Cash back is good, but actually having points to use for trip, a goal most folks should want (IMHO).  Same as setting aside vacation pay, investment income, etc.

Signature needs updating
Message 66 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

If I buy a train ticket in Amsterdam, I'm not going to use DC for that, so I'm not getting the 2% CB for it or the ability to use points to cover the charge.  Yes, I could have built up enough CB while in the US that I can just say that money was what paid for the ticket, but I still give up that extra 2% from the actual purchase.  It really comes down to that FTF.

As for the QS, it's also a good option for this, cut off (has yfan said) is around 12k USD/yr in spending before the extra 0.5% makes a difference.  For me, I easily put more than that through it (normally around 15-20k/yr) in non-category spending.  I have some purchases (non-category) that I can get reimbursed on from my company, if I don't have minspend to meet it goes on Arrival+ (that's the ~5k annual difference in the range).  Rest is clothing, groceries, etc since I don't have any cards (outside of rotating) that fit those categories.  Online purchases are always through a portal (if available), I check cashbackmonitor.com to find the best option.  Sometimes that the UR portal, sometimes Barclay rewards boost (which I like for the fact that there's no fighting about which card you use, book through them for 2% but use CSP and get 2x there as well), ebates, etc.

Now, with my work I do spend more time overseas than I do in the US, so FTF do hit me hard.  But, as already pointed out, it's only a few thousand a year to make up for a small annual feed (assuming the standard 3%), so for anyone that spends more than that overseas in a year it makes sense to look at the costs.  Then look at how much spend you would put through it to see if something like Venture or QS are a better option for your needs.

How I use these cards, and I know a number of others that do the same, is pretty simple.  Chase covers my prefered airlines and hotels, so they are my main focus.  CSP/Freedom/etc generally cover 2/3 tickets and hotel for our trips (I'm working towards lifetime status, so I still get airlines paid and use pay with points if I have them to spare).  Then Arrival+ comes in to cover the extra bits, trains/taxi/amusement tickets/etc.  Majority of my other travel is either work related, or short cheap trips (300USD tickets, so pay with cash or pay with points) where I travel alone.

Now, if you have suggestions for a better way, I'm all ears.  Our prefered hotel is Marriot, Hyatt is second.  Due to the time I lived in Korea I built up a ton of miles on KE, close enough that lifetime status is within reach so that is our primary airline (actually, it's Delta or any other SkyTeam, but miles need to be transfered to KE), United is the second choice due to routing flexibility they offer.  As, in my case, I spend a lot of time overseas FTF are basically a no-go for me, only exceptions are maybe gas (plan to get the Ink later this year, which has 2x on that) and groceries.

Message 67 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

This last exchange seems to have got rather too semantic and I suspect all sides could more or less agree on some basic points. My suggestion:

1) For those without a lot of spend that would incur a FTF (which can be spend in a foregin country, or, in some cases, buying an air ticket in the US that is processed by a foreign bank, BA used to do this) you are probably going to do better with a 2% general spend card.   ITo avoid any FTF, consider a Quicksilver or similar, with a slightly lower reward, for that spend

2) If you have a lot of spend that would incur a FTF, and have a lot of travel to redeem against, then the Arrival/Venture can make sense.

3) For non-hotel/airfare travel type expenses above $90K a year, the Arrival can make sense.

Pretty much agree with your assessment.  Arrival is pretty much dead in my eyes, unless they waive the AF or give bonus points = more than the AF.

Message 68 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, new here, first topic/post..great to be registered here.

I'm only 23, I got my first credit cards last year..BofA CR, Discover IT, and I recently got the BofA Travel Rewards. I'm not a fan of the BofA Cash Rewards and Discover it. I don't really like the rotating categories because sometimes I don't spend at that category and not just going to waste money to get cash back using that card. For example this month, is 5% Amazon, certain Department, and home improvement stores which is good, but other is Six Flags, seriously? I got the Travel for the signup bonus and because I wanted to save for a trip, but then I realized, what is the difference than some other cash back only card? Instead, im stuck with only using for travel credit whereas I can use a cash back rewards card for anything. I don't travel much, so the 3pts per travel wont do me much good. I should have done my research more lol. I was thinking on just applying for the Captitol One Quicksilver for everyday but afraid i'll have too many cards. Citi DC is nice but I like the quick redemption process of Cap1 and i'd prob not get approved for it or if I would, would be small CL. Nothing crazy, but I do take Uber a lot so the 20% off would be nice as well. Also the 100 signup bonus is nice for not a big spender like myself.

Thanks!

If you don't travel much, don't even look into travel cards, as you said the cashback can be used for everything! You really should of researched the BoA travel card a little more before you applied. The Amex EDC would of been a much better card to apply for.

Travel cards benefit people like myself who travel a fair amount. I can drop $3k in airline tickets for me and my fiance to travel to Europe and back each year, which is ~9k points, and my Amex card also pays for our lounge access too. 

My Chase SP also allows me to get a 20% point bonus if I use it for travel too. Travel cards are a perfect example of how credit cards can benefit you greatly, you just need to spend money on the right things...

How would Amex ED be better though? That one is really only useful for travel redemptions just like the BOA Travel Rewards.

Agree OP, do you research. Don't get sucked into marketing. One or two trips a year (especially domestic ones) do not warrant a "travel" card and you will come out ahead with cash back.

How is it better? It's an everyday card. Not for travel, just for general spend, as OP doesn't travel...

Most people would benefit from a card like this over a travel card.

Message 69 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, new here, first topic/post..great to be registered here.

I'm only 23, I got my first credit cards last year..BofA CR, Discover IT, and I recently got the BofA Travel Rewards. I'm not a fan of the BofA Cash Rewards and Discover it. I don't really like the rotating categories because sometimes I don't spend at that category and not just going to waste money to get cash back using that card. For example this month, is 5% Amazon, certain Department, and home improvement stores which is good, but other is Six Flags, seriously? I got the Travel for the signup bonus and because I wanted to save for a trip, but then I realized, what is the difference than some other cash back only card? Instead, im stuck with only using for travel credit whereas I can use a cash back rewards card for anything. I don't travel much, so the 3pts per travel wont do me much good. I should have done my research more lol. I was thinking on just applying for the Captitol One Quicksilver for everyday but afraid i'll have too many cards. Citi DC is nice but I like the quick redemption process of Cap1 and i'd prob not get approved for it or if I would, would be small CL. Nothing crazy, but I do take Uber a lot so the 20% off would be nice as well. Also the 100 signup bonus is nice for not a big spender like myself.

Thanks!

If you don't travel much, don't even look into travel cards, as you said the cashback can be used for everything! You really should of researched the BoA travel card a little more before you applied. The Amex EDC would of been a much better card to apply for.

Travel cards benefit people like myself who travel a fair amount. I can drop $3k in airline tickets for me and my fiance to travel to Europe and back each year, which is ~9k points, and my Amex card also pays for our lounge access too. 

My Chase SP also allows me to get a 20% point bonus if I use it for travel too. Travel cards are a perfect example of how credit cards can benefit you greatly, you just need to spend money on the right things...

How would Amex ED be better though? That one is really only useful for travel redemptions just like the BOA Travel Rewards.

Agree OP, do you research. Don't get sucked into marketing. One or two trips a year (especially domestic ones) do not warrant a "travel" card and you will come out ahead with cash back.

How is it better? It's an everyday card. Not for travel, just for general spend, as OP doesn't travel...

Most people would benefit from a card like this over a travel card.

In some ways, calling the ED/EDP everyday is a little like calling Arrival/Venture "travel", except in reverse!   ED/EDP reward in MRs, which are valuable for travel but not really for other things.   If you use them for gift cards etc, the reward structure is weak compared to cashback cards (and for cash or shop with points, much worse)

Message 70 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.