cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of the Amex (vanilla) Blue?

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

What is the point of the Amex (vanilla) Blue?

What is the point of the American Express Blue credit card?

The Blue Sky cards offer airline rewards and the Blue Cash cards offer cash back, but the regular Blue card only offers MRE points.

If I had done better research at the time of application, I probably wouldnt have even bothered with getting a (regular) Blue card.

I'm happy to have a credit card with Amex, but it seems like the regular Blue doesnt make a whole lot of sense. I would assume that if you can qualify for the Blue, you can qualify for the Blue Sky or Blue Cash.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FicoTron
Established Contributor

Re: What is the point of the Amex (vanilla) Blue?

Since the Amex rewards site has been "down for maintenance" for nearly the past 6 months, it makes the blue as well as all of its charge cards FAR less valuable.  So glad I opted for the BCP.  Is anyone else furious about this?

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 2 of 7
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I would call AMEX and request a PC to BCE. Blue doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to have. You aren't earning any points on purchases and there aren't any rewards that I'm aware of.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 7
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately I have only had the Blue for 1 month so I will probably have to wait a year before I can get a PC.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoTron wrote:

Since the Amex rewards site has been "down for maintenance" for nearly the past 6 months, it makes the blue as well as all of its charge cards FAR less valuable.  So glad I opted for the BCP.  Is anyone else furious about this?

+1  Without that bonus points mall, all MR cards have lost some appeal, no doubt.  Though, the regular Blue does have some value (compared to the Cash and Sky) for two reasons.  The first is lower standard interest rates, so if you sometimes carry balances that is something to keep in mind.  But its primary value is that it is a no annual fee card that earns MR points.  Yes, they are express points for now, but you can accumulate them for as long as you want and then apply for a Green, Gold, or Plat and those accumulated MRE points transform into full MR points.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@charyot77 wrote:

Unfortunately I have only had the Blue for 1 month so I will probably have to wait a year before I can get a PC.

I product changed a Blue to a BCE after about a month and a half.

Message 6 of 7
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@charyot77 wrote:

I product changed a Blue to a BCE after about a month and a half.

Koop, thanks! This is good to know. I wonder if I can get them to change the sign-on bonus from the 10,000 (useless) MRE points to the $100.

My original plan was to collect MRE points with my Zync packs and to convert them to MR points later when I feel the need to switch to a PRG but now I'd rather just take the cash as it looks like the Zync's ability to excellerate points is going kaput.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.