cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of having a lot of credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the purpose of having a lot of credit?

@sandsanta wrote:

If you're founding a startup, then you need seed capital.  A loan of any kind is the absolute worst thing you can do.  

Seed capital is better guaranteed with a loan than a credit card.

Message 51 of 123
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

As another poster here mentioned.. Most people on this forum are responsible that have been around for awhile and have rebuit their broken credit and you rarely see people get into trouble that have had to rebuild before, because it is such hard work and they are super "anal" about everything, such as myself Smiley Happy..  As another poster stated, I would rather have more credit now then when I would possibly need it and not be able to obtain it.  

No one can say what another persons needs w/regards to credit.  I would venture to even say some of the people that lecture people on this subject have more credit then their income, just a guess..  I have a bit below my income and probably will keep it right below my income or at my income level and continue to prune and refine my cards and get down to say 5 cards at 25k-30k limits is my ideal scenario so I don't have to micro-manage any one particular card if I want to carry 5k for a few months on one card.  

So trying to figure out someone elses need and to lecture them on it, well is kinda silly as you don't know their income or means of repayment.  Live your own life and let others live theirs.  Obviously if people apply for 20 cards in one month their is a issue, otherwise who the fudge cares?  

I can date a high maintenance girl if I wan to hear opinions all day Smiley Happy.. I choose to pick simple ones to date instead.

Message 52 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

As another poster here mentioned.. Most people on this forum are responsible that have been around for awhile and have rebuit their broken credit and you rarely see people get into trouble that have had to rebuild before, because it is such hard work and they are super "anal" about everything, such as myself Smiley Happy..  As another poster stated, I would rather have more credit now then when I would possibly need it and not be able to obtain it.  

No one can say what another persons needs w/regards to credit.  I would venture to even say some of the people that lecture people on this subject have more credit then their income, just a guess..  I have a bit below my income and probably will keep it right below my income or at my income level and continue to prune and refine my cards and get down to say 5 cards at 25k-30k limits is my ideal scenario so I don't have to micro-manage any one particular card if I want to carry 5k for a few months on one card.  

So trying to figure out someone elses need and to lecture them on it, well is kinda silly as you don't know their income or means of repayment.  Live your own life and let others live theirs.  Obviously if people apply for 20 cards in one month their is a issue, otherwise who the fudge cares?  

Well said!

Message 53 of 123
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Point is, one has to do what they are comfortable with and can handle responsibly. Some feel this can be 3x their income. Others feel that's too much.

I don't think anyone really cares; I mean, people are gonna do what they want regardless of what someone on a forum says. But the point of the thread was our opinions on "a lot of credit", that's the topic at hand. Trust me, there are threads I want to say "who cares?", because the topic just isn't interesting to me, but I tend to just not respond to them when that's how I feel.

I will say though that most of us "regulars", including myself, have laid out our opinions on this matter a million times so, I'm moving along. Smiley Happy

Message 54 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you post a thread complaining because you did not get an increase, you open yourself up to the opinion of some who may opine you have enough credit as it is. Be specific about your needs and wants, but ultimately it will all depend on your credit history and ability, willingness to repay.

Message 55 of 123
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

One thing I ask from you KDM, please never become an UW/Analyst for Chase or any other lender I seek more credit from and we will get along just fine Smiley Happy.. I could only imagine having to recon with you Smiley Tongue..  Would be an all day marathon.

Message 56 of 123
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly if given the choice I think I'd rather have 4-5 cards that are relatively manageable with higher limits (say above $5k) than with 20 cards that might equal what I have with 5 cards, but lots of lower limits.  5 cards that are non-store cards that I can actually use anywhere for any purpose.  Right now I'll start with 3 bank cards and see where that gets me.  I don't see anything out there that would make me want more than that.  I don't need Discover since I already have a 5% cashback card (Freedom), I could get the CSP for travel and dining and the BCE or BCP for Groceries and Gas.  Maybe Sallie Mae and Discover for a backup later on. 

This is my goal. 5 personal, couple business.  That's it.  But want to give my current line up some time.  As one 0% gets paid, eliminate a lower limit, higher interest card.  PS, I hate how iPad Safari puts exclamation points instead of comma.  Talk about taking control of the conversation.  Smiley Wink

And i I am fine with 5 to 7 k limits.

Signature needs updating
Message 57 of 123
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@sandsanta wrote:

If you're founding a startup, then you need seed capital.  A loan of any kind is the absolute worst thing you can do.  

But among the options, funding it on a credit card is about the worst of the worst!

Some of the business cards have the lowest apr's.  Chase ink cash is fixed 13.4.  A good credit union or Ring can get 8%.  A personal computer loan runs 6%.  Small business loans are higher.  A nice 0% (if you take in more than you pay out) works nicely for a start up.  I provided my own seed capital, and started with one client (still have them).

Signature needs updating
Message 58 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@sandsanta wrote:

But among the options, funding it on a credit card is about the worst of the worst!

Some of the business cards have the lowest apr's.  Chase ink cash is fixed 13.4.  A good credit union or Ring can get 8%.  A personal computer loan runs 6%.  Small business loans are higher.  A nice 0% (if you take in more than you pay out) works nicely for a start up.  I provided my own seed capital, and started with one client (still have them).

13.24% and it is tied to prime, actually.

Message 59 of 123
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@sandsanta wrote:

13.24% and it is tied to prime, actually.

Still works.  It is recommended you have 6 months living cash saved up for start ups.   I have at least two months so far.  I have seven accounts actually, hard to keep up, and some I don't look at, just for that purpose of no spend.

Signature needs updating
Message 60 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.