Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the rate on your AMEX Blue?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the rate on your AMEX Blue?

Sorry, I can't type this morning.

Just wanted some info.  My rate is currently 10.99% on my blue (for new purchases).  Have a much lower rate on a convenience check balance.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone had a lower rate on their Blue.  This is just the regular old Blue - not Blue Cash or Blue Sky.

Just curious.  This is my highest rate out of all of my cards.

Message Edited by Scout1965 on 02-23-2008 10:32 AM

Message Edited by Scout1965 on 02-23-2008 10:33 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the rate on your AMEX Blue?

Nice rate on the Blue-
It's lower than my Blue cash
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

mine is also 10.99%.... it is one of my higher rate cards as well. i'm still in the promo period though. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Timothy and ragtag.

Just thought the rate was high...
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex APRs do tend to run slightly higher than average.  I think it's due to simple economics:  Their rewards program is excellent and the name carries a bit of prestige, so they can get away with charging a slightly higher rate without seriously affecting demand for their products.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even more than that-
They like PIFer's - so I wonder why they have such a wide range of APR's-

cheddar wrote:
Amex APRs do tend to run slightly higher than average.  I think it's due to simple economics:  Their rewards program is excellent and the name carries a bit of prestige, so they can get away with charging a slightly higher rate without seriously affecting demand for their products.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
Even more than that-
They like PIFer's - so I wonder why they have such a wide range of APR's-

Yes, their preference for PIF could be another reason their APRs run high.  If a cardholder has a number of cards but can't PIF them all, the higher APR will be the one more likely to get the PIF treatment.

Message Edited by cheddar on 02-23-2008 10:00 AM
Message 7 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I was at 8.99% on my Blue card, so after reading this thread I decided to call up AmEx and raise some cane. They lowered my rate to 8.24% not becuase of my credit rating...it's because the prime rate has droppped. BTW I have been a PIFer with this card for awhile and charge heavily on my AmEx Gold card.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused,

I want your rate. Smiley Very Happy   I actually called Amex earlier today and asked if they would lower the rate from 10.99%.   Their response was intially NO.

Amex said my history with them was great (back to 1987 - currently have green, blue and clear), but I am NOT using the blue card enough.  Actually, the ENTIRE balance on the blue is approx $7,000 with an rate of 1.9%.  Blue CL is 25K.   I asked the CSR to check my usage on the green and clear card.  I PIF the green and clear every month and my clear has a CL of 20K. 

She came back and said the rate would be lowered effective with my next statement.  So, I went from 10.99% to 8.99%.  Fixed rate, not variable.  Maybe now I will put some new charges on the card.

BTW  Before I get slammed for revolving the $7000 - I pay over $500 a month on this.  Actually have the cash to pay it off but earn more on my investment account.  Spoke with Amex about revolving a large $ amount when I wrote the convenience check and they said "no problem."

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.