Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the strategy for CLI - Discover IT

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

What is the strategy for CLI - Discover IT

Are they all SP's ? When should you start trying ? How often ?
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the strategy for CLI - Discover IT

Most are SP's but there have been instances where a HP is required, it will warn you before you continue. Usually CLI's are given every 3 months but there is no guarantee of course.

Message 2 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

SP versus HP isn't strategy.  That's tactics.

The stategy is the same as with any creditor.  Your credit profile and income are the primary considerations.  Identify issues in your reports and work on addressing them.

Discover will tell you if an HP is required.  When isn't just about the passage of time.  No creditor simply hands out CLI's in excahnge for time.  All of them use your credit profile and income to detemrine the limit/CLI that yo qualify for.

Message 3 of 10
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I would be careful with those CLI requests if your reports aren't frozen.  The system told me it would ask if a HP was required; I was declined for the CLI with no request for a HP, and a shiny new inquiry showed up on Transunion.  I know of at least one other person on the forums that it happened to, so it wasn't just me.

Message 4 of 10
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Falere wrote:

I would be careful with those CLI requests if your reports aren't frozen.  The system told me it would ask if a HP was required; I was declined for the CLI with no request for a HP, and a shiny new inquiry showed up on Transunion.  I know of at least one other person on the forums that it happened to, so it wasn't just me.

Did you call to fix the issue? For me it clearly say that a HP is needed and have to put a checkmark to continue. If I get a HP after that, I'm sure I'll try to make them remove it.

Thank you for the warning.

Message 5 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Discover CLI method when you start at $1k...received_10153740161573261.gif

Message 6 of 10
elegia
New Contributor

I started out with a measly $1,500 limit on my Discover It. I requested a CLI 6 months after opening (definitely was a SP - website should clearly tell you whether HP is going to be required or not) and was denied. I heard that Discover can be more forthcoming with auto-CLIs, so I decided not to initiate anymore and see if that got me anything. I got my first auto-luv a little before my 1st anniversary for a paltry increase of $550, and just recently (just shy of my 2-year mark) got a nice surprise auto increase of almost 4x my former limit. I use the card sparingly - mostly for online shopping using Discover Deals - and usually run anywhere from $0 to $250 per month and always PIF (sometimes before the statement cuts, sometimes after). So that's my experience. Good luck whatever you decide to try!

Message 7 of 10
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@Falere wrote:

Did you call to fix the issue? For me it clearly say that a HP is needed and have to put a checkmark to continue. If I get a HP after that, I'm sure I'll try to make them remove it.

Thank you for the warning.

Decided that it wasn't worth the effort.  I just heard "permissible purpose" in my head lol, since technically, a request for credit is just that.  I've heard of a few situations like that where the person ends up going in circles, talking to several people, etc.  Some of them are successful in getting unauthorized pulls off but I am very much a person that considers the cost-benefit of everything.  I left it be.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tussking wrote:

Ask for your first one 91 days after opening, and then every 31 days after that.

Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tussking wrote:

Ask for your first one 91 days after opening, and then every 31 days after that.

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.