Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with American Express?

tag
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

What is wrong with American Express?

What the hell is wrong with American Express sending me a pseudo-personalized, pre-selected offer for an American Express Green Card (already a citizen, thank you very much! Smiley Tongue) and giving a guy like me with miserable Fico and Plus scores HOPE? I know it's a GUARANTEED denial if I even bother to apply but just having an offer from them is making me smile a little inside because I never thought they'd ever bother kicking dirt in my direction. Smiley Very Happy  They have given me until September 20th to respond and if I knew for sure that there would be other offers from them in the near future I'd pass on this one for sure.. Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. Plus I have some old student loan lates that have fallen off and others that are set to fall off in the coming months..

I still have tunnel vision in regards to saving myself for the NASA Credit Union but this American Express offer is a wee bit tempting. But every voice in my head is screaming, DON'T DO IT!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

lately lots of people have been getting approved with scores around the 650

Message 2 of 8
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

I WISH my scores were that high again, lol..

My current scores are:

TransUnion: 623

Equifax: 634

Experian Plus: 586

TransUnion seems to be the most sensitive of the three bureaus. At least where my scores are concerned. Every single change on my credit reports triggers a score increase or decrease from TransUnion. Heck, if the wind blows in the opposite direction the next day it'll trigger a score change on TransUnion.

Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Plunk that green card magnet on your refrigerator door, and use it as motivation! Smiley Wink

Stick with what you're doing. The fact that you're starting to get pre-approvals is a sign that you're moving in the right direction. If you get tempted to jump the gun, remember that you never want to apply for new credit until your reports look as good as possible, so you would definitely want to wait until those negatives come off in the next few months.

And remember, those NASA cards have way cool geeky designs. Way more distinctive that the greenie! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have opted out  Smiley Very Happy

Really, really reduces the amount of paper I have to recycle every week

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@FicoScore626 wrote:

Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. 

If your Macy's and Bloomingdale's cards are not reporting a CL AND a high balance, they're not factoring in FICO revolving util calculations. 

Message 6 of 8
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@fused wrote:

@FicoScore626 wrote:

Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. 

If your Macy's and Bloomingdale's cards are not reporting a CL AND a high balance, they're not factoring in FICO revolving util calculations. 

My Bloomingdale's account has had a zero balance for a few months now and my Macy's account has a balance of $200.. I just meant that if they were still reporting credit limits then I could've probably benefitted from that since both accounts have $1500 credit lines and my total credit lines across all active accounts could've lowered my utilization a bit. At least I hope I've got it right, Lol..

Message 7 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@FicoScore626 wrote:

@fused wrote:

@FicoScore626 wrote:

My Bloomingdale's account has had a zero balance for a few months now and my Macy's account has a balance of $200.. I just meant that if they were still reporting credit limits then I could've probably benefitted from that since both accounts have $1500 credit lines and my total credit lines across all active accounts could've lowered my utilization a bit. At least I hope I've got it right, Lol..

Good point and you are right! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.