Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎09-01-2009
0

What is wrong with American Express?

[ Edited ]

What the hell is wrong with American Express sending me a pseudo-personalized, pre-selected offer for an American Express Green Card (already a citizen, thank you very much! Smiley Tongue) and giving a guy like me with miserable Fico and Plus scores HOPE? I know it's a GUARANTEED denial if I even bother to apply but just having an offer from them is making me smile a little inside because I never thought they'd ever bother kicking dirt in my direction. Smiley Very Happy  They have given me until September 20th to respond and if I knew for sure that there would be other offers from them in the near future I'd pass on this one for sure.. Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. Plus I have some old student loan lates that have fallen off and others that are set to fall off in the coming months..

 

I still have tunnel vision in regards to saving myself for the NASA Credit Union but this American Express offer is a wee bit tempting. But every voice in my head is screaming, DON'T DO IT!!

Epic Contributor
Posts: 25,600
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

lately lots of people have been getting approved with scores around the 650

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎09-01-2009
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

I WISH my scores were that high again, lol..

 

My current scores are:

TransUnion: 623

Equifax: 634

Experian Plus: 586

 

TransUnion seems to be the most sensitive of the three bureaus. At least where my scores are concerned. Every single change on my credit reports triggers a score increase or decrease from TransUnion. Heck, if the wind blows in the opposite direction the next day it'll trigger a score change on TransUnion.

Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

Plunk that green card magnet on your refrigerator door, and use it as motivation! Smiley Wink

 

Stick with what you're doing. The fact that you're starting to get pre-approvals is a sign that you're moving in the right direction. If you get tempted to jump the gun, remember that you never want to apply for new credit until your reports look as good as possible, so you would definitely want to wait until those negatives come off in the next few months.

 

And remember, those NASA cards have way cool geeky designs. Way more distinctive that the greenie! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,195
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

I have opted out  Smiley Very Happy

 

Really, really reduces the amount of paper I have to recycle every week

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 16,383
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

 


FicoScore626 wrote:

 

Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. 


If your Macy's and Bloomingdale's cards are not reporting a CL AND a high balance, they're not factoring in FICO revolving util calculations. 

 

Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Visa ~ CITI Dividend Platinum World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎09-01-2009
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

 


fused wrote:

 


FicoScore626 wrote:

 

Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. 


If your Macy's and Bloomingdale's cards are not reporting a CL AND a high balance, they're not factoring in FICO revolving util calculations. 

 


 

My Bloomingdale's account has had a zero balance for a few months now and my Macy's account has a balance of $200.. I just meant that if they were still reporting credit limits then I could've probably benefitted from that since both accounts have $1500 credit lines and my total credit lines across all active accounts could've lowered my utilization a bit. At least I hope I've got it right, Lol..

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 16,383
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0

Re: What is wrong with American Express?

 


FicoScore626 wrote:

 


fused wrote:

 


FicoScore626 wrote:

 

Right now my utilization is way too high (Thanks a lot Macy's and Bloomingdale's for not reporting credit limits anymore! Smiley Sad) and my scores are low because of it so I'd have to hussle and get my utilization down in time. 


If your Macy's and Bloomingdale's cards are not reporting a CL AND a high balance, they're not factoring in FICO revolving util calculations. 

 


 

My Bloomingdale's account has had a zero balance for a few months now and my Macy's account has a balance of $200.. I just meant that if they were still reporting credit limits then I could've probably benefitted from that since both accounts have $1500 credit lines and my total credit lines across all active accounts could've lowered my utilization a bit. At least I hope I've got it right, Lol..


Good point and you are right! 

 

Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Visa ~ CITI Dividend Platinum World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.