cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your absolute worst mistake with credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your absolute worst mistake with credit cards?

Right after I turned 18 (2000) I apped for cards left and right at a golf tournament I was at just to get the little free giveaways (golf balls, polo shirts, towels etc). When they arrived I just threw them away and they were eventually closed for inactivity. A couple years later I got a card to finance an apple computer for college and spent way more than I could afford and got behind on the payments. This scared me off of credit cards for years and I just paid everything in cash. I just recently got back into credit cards and luckily all those cards from years ago were still on my report so it actually helped a little and my delinquencies had fallen off so I have been able to get approved for every card I've applied for but it kills me thinking about all the rewards I've been missing out on in the last 10 years or so. I've been lucky to have a decent income for almost that entire 10 years and it kills me to think about the amount of money I put on my debit card for all those years (probably minimum of 40-50k/year Smiley Sad )
Message 41 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Right after I turned 18 (2000) I apped for cards left and right at a golf tournament I was at just to get the little free giveaways (golf balls, polo shirts, towels etc). When they arrived I just threw them away and they were eventually closed for inactivity. A couple years later I got a card to finance an apple computer for college and spent way more than I could afford and got behind on the payments. This scared me off of credit cards for years and I just paid everything in cash. I just recently got back into credit cards and luckily all those cards from years ago were still on my report so it actually helped a little and my delinquencies had fallen off so I have been able to get approved for every card I've applied for but it kills me thinking about all the rewards I've been missing out on in the last 10 years or so. I've been lucky to have a decent income for almost that entire 10 years and it kills me to think about the amount of money I put on my debit card for all those years (probably minimum of 40-50k/year Smiley Sad )

Ah, the olden days of giving away free pizzas to get irresponsible college kids to app for credit cards!

At least you're back in the game. You did lose out on some rewards, but maybe you wouldn't have been mentally prepared for having credit cards until now, so who knows what mess you might have avoided by building up the discipline of cash and debit. A lot of folks tend to overspend as a matter of habit when their incomes dramatically increase. Now that you have the proper mindset, you can move forward and use credit to your advantage :-)

Message 42 of 108
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah the old 'Closed Due To Inactivity.' Sigh! The positive is that you can now take advantage of card rewards. Thanks for sharing!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 43 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut.

Message 44 of 108
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Fingerhut.

Ah! The dreaded Fingerhut! I understand. While some have regret for apping with Fingerhut, the upside is that they assist many persons with thin files in establishing/building/rebuilding credit. I'm not sure if that applies in your case or not, but thanks so much for sharing JonE!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 45 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Fingerhut.

Fingerhut was included in my 1982 bankruptcy, and they didn't even have a credit card at the time!

Message 46 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your ablsolute worst mistake with credit cards?

I paid $130 in interest when I forgot to PIF after buying $6,000 in plane tickets on a Citi AAExecutive. Autopayment for $200 went through as soon as statement cut, I just neglected to pay the rest of the tab before due date.

Message 47 of 108
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid $130 in interest when I forgot to PIF after buying $6,000 in plane tickets on a Citi AAExecutive. Autopayment for $200 went through as soon as statement cut, I just neglected to pay the rest of the tab before due date.

OMGee! $130 in interest? That bites. Thanks for sharing tuolumne!

Message 48 of 108
elim
Senior Contributor

when i was a pup i got approved for 3  $300 starter cards (cap1, hsbc, etc.).  i had them over limit within a few months and made the minimum plus penalties every month (as well as the usual maintanance fees).

i bet i lost a fortune that year, lol

Message 49 of 108
12njoy
Super Contributor

I would say my biggest mistake was that I wasted  4 EQ inquiries trying to raise my Chase CSP limit.   After the 4th denial I gave up. Or maybe the 3 inquiries I burned trying to get a 2nd US bank card to no avail.   Even contacted the president's office who investigated the applications and came back with a denial.   Last but not least, PNC with 3 wasted inquiries and no card. 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 50 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.