cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your consensus on my Amex Cards?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What is your consensus on my Amex Cards?

Now that I am cooled down a bit and thinking more straight about priorities and preferences, this what I am thinking. Let me know what you think.

After Amex CLD'd my Clear from $5k CL to $1k CL it is  pretty much a toy card at this point and no use for me. Looking at the positive side, I am thinking I might as well get an AU card for 16 year old daughter and she can use the card for small expenses. That way, I dont have to think about this card any more and at least it will help my daugther build credit relationship with Amex.

As per my Personal Gold Charge Card and my Biz Plum Card, should I continue using them or should I boycott them? Either way it does not make even a bit of difference to me at this point as I have other cards and more than all plenty of cash reserves to weather any financial storm.

One way I think about it is why do I care what Amex does, keep using the card until they decline. Once they decline then use other cards. Continue doing PIF and keep every thing clean. That way what difference does it make what Amex does? I am not at the mercy of Amex for my financial needs.

What your suggestion? Should I keep using the Gold/Plum Cards or just stop using them?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: What is your consensus on my Amex Cards?

Use whatever cards give you the best rewards.  If the plum gives you better rewards than whatever card you were using before, why would you want to lower your rewards?  If you have a card that gives you better rewards than the plum, why would you want to use the plum?  Do what benefits you the most. You can get a CLD from anybody these days.  Does not have to make any sense.  Don't take it personal.
Message Edited by manyquestions on 04-12-2009 04:25 PM
Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Use whatever cards give you the best rewards.  If the plum gives you better rewards than whatever card you were using before, why would you want to lower your rewards?  If you have a card that gives you better rewards than the plum, why would you want to use the plum?  Do what benefits you the most. You can get a CLD from anybody these days.  Does not have to make any sense.  Don't take it personal.
Message Edited by manyquestions on 04-12-2009 04:25 PM
Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I switched over to just a charge card user with amex over a year ago.

All credit lines on credit cards have been taken away but I can't find a replacement for my wonderful Gold Charge so I use that and stay on amex' good side with that... actually thinking about upgrading to Platinum 

You got the Plum, I would use it and use it heavily, 2% is fabulous and quite a number of purchases could actually earn you additional, Fedex 5%, Hertz 5%, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have multiple cards with them and May I ask why is that?

If they declined your purchase, what is the whole point of carrying a card from them? You don't need them, they need you. You do have the options to find a better credit cards deal.

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You have multiple cards with them and May I ask why is that?

If they declined your purchase, what is the whole point of carrying a card from them? You don't need them, they need you. You do have the options to find a better credit cards deal.

me?
no since in closing credit cards that have no annual fee even if they are only at $500.  I figure one day far down the road, amex will be back on there feet and they will give out CL again and I will be sitting there with OLD accounts!
as far as charge cards, I don't have a better business card that will allow me to charge up to 15k on it in a month and if I do it in one day, they don't send the account into fraud 5 times.
I have NEVER been declined at register, I have never had to have a merchant call in for verification or for approval with amex, but I have with Chase, Macy's and a couple others when trying to use much of my credit line. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had 5K /month to spend on a credit card
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

rbbyrbsn wrote:
I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS

Right allot of people act like this is must have card but seems to me Amex could give a Da..about there customers an after reading so many negative threads on this forum I will never apply for one of there cards.

Message 7 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I called them this morning and asked them to send an AU card for my daughter and she can use the card.  

I am not going to loose my sleep over it. Amex is doing this to every one and I am not going to beat my self for my actions or what I did or did not do.

Just doing a product change does not mean it is a new account. It still has the history from old account.

For now I am going to enjoy what I have.  I am sure once Amex gets its head examined, eventually they will give my Credit Limit back.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have AMEX Blue Sky card for 4 months now since they approved me on Dec 2008. So far so good, they even offer me 7,500 bonus points which is equal to $100 off ON ANYTHING. I am saving up my rewards point and use it whenever and wherever..

Since I have heard alot of complaint about AMEX on online forums so I guess it's depend on people how and where they shop.

I like AMEX Blue Sky Rewards better than any other rewards..$100 Credit When Approve for an Account.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.