cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your current credit card plan?

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is your current credit card plan?

Plans ? More of the same old same old.

1. Be careful to not let my cards influence more spending than

I'd otherwise do. 

2. PIF. and I need to set up a minimum push payment from my

checking as a redundant failsafe for the auto PIF scheduled with the

cards. Just to make sure.

3. No apps until at least April 2016. I want to see what score I can post

after my newest account is older than 2 years.

4. After #3 above, I want a second Sallie Mae. If I can get that done, I'll

PC my BCP to some other Amex without an AF. Sallie Mae(s) will become

my exclusive grocery, fuel and Amazon spend catchers.

5. Don't have any other plans. I'll be watching the roll out of the Schwab

Amex. That's the only thing on the horizon that might warrant a new app.

6. My last mortgage should be paid off in 2019. It's possible I could

take early retirement in 2020 = age 59 Smiley Happy .If so, I would expect the

next couple years to be the peak of my FICO scores.

Grunpy old dudes don't have very interesting plans.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 51 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Current Cards

Capital One: Merge my QS to my QS1 (low APR!) and get the Annual Fee removed.

Apple Barclay:  I'll just use that for Apple purchases.

Discover IT: It's a joint account and our main spending card currently. 

AmEx ED: It was just used to get my toe in the door. 

Overstock: Really just a credit buffer. Just for monthly CLIs.

Amazon Store: Going to close eventually. Didn't really need it.

Gamestop: Will close and then burn the card. (Bad idea was a bad idea lol)

Future Cards

Capital One: Will app for the Venture down the line. Probably will app for another QS too since I already gotta put up with the triple pull. Evenutally I'll merge that new QS with the venture if they both get approved.

AmEx: I wanted the Blue Cash Preferred Card. We will switch that to groceries with that wonderful 6% cash back! I'll also combine the limit of that Everyday to this card if possible. 

Lowes: This is truthfully the only store card I'll need down the line. 

So that would leave me with 6 Main CCs (and an Overstock card) and that's more than enough! Hope this goes to plan! Smiley Very Happy

Message 52 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. August is my review for commerce bank. I am hoping to get a CLI to 5-10k (no hp) and upgrade to Visa Signature. If no CLI, either SD or closing.

End of August I can request my 3x CLI on my AMEX ED. I have basically transitioned about half of my general spending from my QS to this card, making at least 2 payments a week. (and besides, 1.2% for general spend, thats on avg worth 2.4, and groceries at 2.4, worth on avg 4.8 aint too shabby)

2. September I will meet both min spends for my Amex PRG and Delta Gold ( a $1650 value not including my 10k june bonus from ED, not bad for only $2k, eh?)

3. October request 3x cli on Delta gold and my 0% ends on my Quicksilver and Commerce Bank.  Quicksilver goes to 22.9, Commerce to 15.24.  Gonna work on getting the qs lowered then, or combining later. If not, no biggie really.

4. March cancel CreditOne

Planning on strictly using Discover for all holiday shopping especially any Black Friday deals to maximize savings AND extend the warranty. Currently at $140 CB which is really worth 280 in car rentals, so not too bad!

Going to pray that some form of  a sign from above manifests itself. I really want to expand in a different direction than capital one and chase. I have a feeling with holidays coming cap1 may up their bonus possibly...hard to tell what I will do.  Seeing folks get 0 percent for a year added to a venture was alluring with the concept of combining. Def don't need triple pulls tho.

If I play my cards right (lol literally) I am kind of thinking being an AU on this BOA card and getting my scores up more, while just using it for gas, might increase odds of approval. I am also HIGHLY considering persuading a relative to add me to their BOA as an AU next year if I dont hit score goals. This account has had 0 late payments, consistent  <10 util, open since 2001, and a 30k limit. I would of course tell them to just cut the card up.

I mean I honestly cant complain right now. Back in April, my credit one was at $600, buckle at $500, CareCredit at $6400, QS at $1k.  April added Amazon $850. May added sams $1200. Then with the help of you guys I have more than tripled my total CL. Most importantly though, now I can be more relaxed if things get busy. Don't have to pay down the QS all the darn time. The PRG is a big help with the NPSL. And between the 3 Amex and QS I am set for a super low cost trip!!!

Need to set some goals as far as ultimate cards I'd like to have, and maybe limits too.  With my couponing it seems like half the time a store wouldn't be coded to my benefit anyway. I will have to evaluate if I spend enough for the EDP (basically 4.5 for groceries, with MR value netting 9, or 6 for gas).  I want to get to a place where every 90 days I can just apply for whatever bonus I want if I decide to.  Really eyeing the IHG just because even with the AF the free night can be worth a lot. I don't think I would ever need a 30k limit other than for util. Maybe have two cards with bigger limits next year.

While completing min spend for some of the higher end cards may not necessarily be a problem for me, I just seem to feel more comfortable setting smaller goals for now. They seem to be more valuable that way anyway. I think having Citi TYP in my collection would not be a bad idea. Oh heres a goal, get Citi to make up their mind on what APR I am worthy of between mail/online offers.

I know in the past I have said I did not want to go the salliemae card route due to the low 250 limit for gas/groceries plus I already have amazon. However I would like to have the Ring at some point. Thinking next year I will app for SM with intentions of adding/PCing to Ring.

And lastly, in the mean time, keep giving you guys heck, try to help out on here and with family and friends. I tell ya, gettin other folks approved for stuff and in slightly better shape credit wise, that can be kind of addicting too. Plus when you are sitting on 17 INQs....well you know. And no I'm not referring anyone to Amex. Talk about crap referrals!

Message 53 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Lets see:

Moving credit limit from Apple Rewards(4K) to Sallie Mae (7k)

Closing Chase Slate $900 yes $900

Closing Sam's Store Acct  (6k)(I have the MC now. the 3% back on dining is great)

Closing Toyota Financial Visa (14k)

Closing Amazon Store Acct (4.8k)

Closing Cap1 QS (7k)

Citibank Dividend (10k) and Citibank Thankyou (5k)

Considering closing NASA CC (9k)

Keeping for now

Amex Blue (10k)

USAA Amex (16k)

NFCU MC (25k)

Penfed Defender Visa (14k)

PSECU Visa (20k)

Sallie Mae MC (7k)

Sam's Club MC (8.6k)

Discover IT (5K)

LQ Visa (3.5)

I think that should do it for now.   

For the ones you want to close, can you merge with others if the same bank? That way you'll get to keep your CLs

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cOOmtg---I have consolidated some of them---recently consoladited some FNBO cards.   At this is point it is just to many cards--I have a stack at my desk in a rubber band that get rotated through for Chipotle duty every Friday to keep them active.  However I am a firm believer that your assets and belongings serve me not the other way around...therefore the ones that do not serve a purpose are being cancelled.   Now I do not plan on dong this as a radical explusion but more so over time.  The cards are paid on time each month and there is more than enough credit there even after I close these for my needs.   

Thank you for your question.

Message 54 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
My plan is to pay down my current debt (approximately $1.5k) and then once my venture arrives, buy a new Mac I've been eyeing for a while (this will cover a significant portion of the spend needed for bonus) and then pay that down by January/February. In the meantime I'll build up my scores and my aaoa as well as my payment history and I'm hoping by the time I pay my Mac off I will have scores in the 700s, which should be good enough to get me in with Discover and Amex, which are the last 2 companies on my radar. Planning on going for a Diacover IT and a PRG/BCE combo from Amex.

A lot people on here (like myself) applied for discover with scores in the 750s and got the discover.  Usually, some get denied but immediately another offer pops up and will get approved for the same card but different terms.  Usually the terms are the apr difference. I PIF so was fine with that.  Good luck though!

Message 55 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbsea wrote:

current cards are in my siggy below.  I'm in the garden till the new costco card comes out next year.  Then I will wait till all but that last inq falls off and get CSP and Freedom and Sallie Mae.  Then I think I'm done.  That would be enough cards for me.

New costco card should be interesting to see, wonder what travel benefits it will have.  My wife and I used to have the membership but never got the amex card, felt we didn't need it...I know people are excited about citi taking over.

Message 56 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bada_bing wrote:

Plans ? More of the same old same old.

1. Be careful to not let my cards influence more spending than

I'd otherwise do. 

2. PIF. and I need to set up a minimum push payment from my

checking as a redundant failsafe for the auto PIF scheduled with the

cards. Just to make sure.

3. No apps until at least April 2016. I want to see what score I can post

after my newest account is older than 2 years.

4. After #3 above, I want a second Sallie Mae. If I can get that done, I'll

PC my BCP to some other Amex without an AF. Sallie Mae(s) will become

my exclusive grocery, fuel and Amazon spend catchers.

5. Don't have any other plans. I'll be watching the roll out of the Schwab

Amex. That's the only thing on the horizon that might warrant a new app.

6. My last mortgage should be paid off in 2019. It's possible I could

take early retirement in 2020 = age 59 Smiley Happy .If so, I would expect the

next couple years to be the peak of my FICO scores.

Grunpy old dudes don't have very interesting plans.

Haha that was funny... I'm already grumpy at times and only 33.

thats one thing I need to do more research on, Amex cards and PC.  I need to know what card I should get that would be eligible to pc should I need to/have to so I don't get stuck with it incase I don't like it. I always hear people mention bce and prg.

Message 57 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Cards

Future Cards

Capital One: Will app for the Venture down the line. Probably will app for another QS too since I already gotta put up with the triple pull. Evenutally I'll merge that new QS with the venture if they both get approved.

AmEx: I wanted the Blue Cash Preferred Card. We will switch that to groceries with that wonderful 6% cash back! I'll also combine the limit of that Everyday to this card if possible. 

So that would leave me with 6 Main CCs (and an Overstock card) and that's more than enough! Hope this goes to plan! Smiley Very Happy

Can you merge Amazon and GameStop with their current banks? I would try that at all possible and not waste the CL.

good idea about cap1, when applying for a card with them, should apply fora second one same day and use same HPs.

currently debating whether I should get a lowes or local credit union loan for $4k vinyl fence installation, I do hear lowes is great with CLIs and Home Depot is not.

Message 58 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. August is my review for commerce bank. I am hoping to get a CLI to 5-10k (no hp) and upgrade to Visa Signature. If no CLI, either SD or closing.

End of August I can request my 3x CLI on my AMEX ED. I have basically transitioned about half of my general spending from my QS to this card, making at least 2 payments a week. (and besides, 1.2% for general spend, thats on avg worth 2.4, and groceries at 2.4, worth on avg 4.8 aint too shabby)

2. September I will meet both min spends for my Amex PRG and Delta Gold ( a $1650 value not including my 10k june bonus from ED, not bad for only $2k, eh?)

3. October request 3x cli on Delta gold and my 0% ends on my Quicksilver and Commerce Bank.  Quicksilver goes to 22.9, Commerce to 15.24.  Gonna work on getting the qs lowered then, or combining later. If not, no biggie really.

4. March cancel CreditOne

Planning on strictly using Discover for all holiday shopping especially any Black Friday deals to maximize savings AND extend the warranty. Currently at $140 CB which is really worth 280 in car rentals, so not too bad!

Going to pray that some form of  a sign from above manifests itself. I really want to expand in a different direction than capital one and chase. I have a feeling with holidays coming cap1 may up their bonus possibly...hard to tell what I will do.  Seeing folks get 0 percent for a year added to a venture was alluring with the concept of combining. Def don't need triple pulls tho.

If I play my cards right (lol literally) I am kind of thinking being an AU on this BOA card and getting my scores up more, while just using it for gas, might increase odds of approval. I am also HIGHLY considering persuading a relative to add me to their BOA as an AU next year if I dont hit score goals. This account has had 0 late payments, consistent  <10 util, open since 2001, and a 30k limit. I would of course tell them to just cut the card up.

I mean I honestly cant complain right now. Back in April, my credit one was at $600, buckle at $500, CareCredit at $6400, QS at $1k.  April added Amazon $850. May added sams $1200. Then with the help of you guys I have more than tripled my total CL. Most importantly though, now I can be more relaxed if things get busy. Don't have to pay down the QS all the darn time. The PRG is a big help with the NPSL. And between the 3 Amex and QS I am set for a super low cost trip!!!

Need to set some goals as far as ultimate cards I'd like to have, and maybe limits too.  With my couponing it seems like half the time a store wouldn't be coded to my benefit anyway. I will have to evaluate if I spend enough for the EDP (basically 4.5 for groceries, with MR value netting 9, or 6 for gas).  I want to get to a place where every 90 days I can just apply for whatever bonus I want if I decide to.  Really eyeing the IHG just because even with the AF the free night can be worth a lot. I don't think I would ever need a 30k limit other than for util. Maybe have two cards with bigger limits next year.

While completing min spend for some of the higher end cards may not necessarily be a problem for me, I just seem to feel more comfortable setting smaller goals for now. They seem to be more valuable that way anyway. I think having Citi TYP in my collection would not be a bad idea. Oh heres a goal, get Citi to make up their mind on what APR I am worthy of between mail/online offers.

I know in the past I have said I did not want to go the salliemae card route due to the low 250 limit for gas/groceries plus I already have amazon. However I would like to have the Ring at some point. Thinking next year I will app for SM with intentions of adding/PCing to Ring.

And lastly, in the mean time, keep giving you guys heck, try to help out on here and with family and friends. I tell ya, gettin other folks approved for stuff and in slightly better shape credit wise, that can be kind of addicting too. Plus when you are sitting on 17 INQs....well you know. And no I'm not referring anyone to Amex. Talk about crap referrals!

A lot goals for sure and very detailed on your plannin. Hope you can keep it up and follow it through. I was also wondering about the holidays and which bank will have the best rewards.  I least I have a card for a few of the main issuers so I can decide which to use. You should definitely get your APRs lowered, I need to do so as well.

Message 59 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Cards

Future Cards

Can you merge Amazon and GameStop with their current banks? I would try that at all possible and not waste the CL.

good idea about cap1, when applying for a card with them, should apply fora second one same day and use same HPs.

currently debating whether I should get a lowes or local credit union loan for $4k vinyl fence installation, I do hear lowes is great with CLIs and Home Depot is not.

Have you considered trying for a CLI on your Discover for the fence? Perhaps you could put it on your Discover card since Home Improvement is on the 5% category (and if you got in on the double cash back deal, it would eventually net you 10% back).

Message 60 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.