Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your everyday card?

tag
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Re: What is your everyday card?

For a while I was uisng my pricline as my everyday card and didn't really use fidelity amex.  

I have been upset with barclay as they seem to give auto cli to everyone but me lol.

but using my fidelity card heavy these days.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 41 of 52
uswala
Senior Contributor

Capital One® Quicksilver for anything that is not in any reward category of my other cards; as it gets me 1.5% cash back on them compared to 1% I get with my other reward cards.

Message 42 of 52
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Currently my Amex BCP, although I occasionally rotate in my BOA Travel card.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 43 of 52
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

PNC Cash Builder, it is 1.75% on all purchases if you have an interest bearing checking with them.  (You do need an average of $5,000 a month to avoid the checking service charge.  The service charge is severe, so don't get it if you can't keep it!)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 44 of 52
blackhawk2
Valued Member

Currently using the Amex SPG very heavily until I hit the spend requirement for the sign up bonus. Even at 1 point per dollar spent, starpoints have a great redemption value so it may continue to be used heavily even after I hit $5,000.

Amex BCE 18k I Amex SPG 6k I CSP 8k I Chase Marriott 7k I Discover It 3.5k I Chase Freedom 2.1k

EX: 735 | EQ: 767 | TU: 770

Credit cards are great when you don't need them.
Message 45 of 52
starry1
Valued Contributor

NFCU cashRewards

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 46 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Jutz wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I guess if your goal is reward-maximization-per-transaction, and you have enough cards, there shouldn't be an everyday card!  Using a default is a sign that you have failed to get the "good" card for that transaction....   

Or that you're playing a different game than rewards Smiley Happy.

Vis a vis my everyday card being the BCP as I'm ruthlessly chasing 3X CLI's while trying to stay ultra clean for my Hail Mary mortgage next year.  I'm almost assuredly stuck in the jumbo space come summer/fall next year, and since everything is going to be playing "let's make a deal" with a couple of loan officers / underwriters to get qualified in that area, I'll happily sacrifice marginal rewards where there isn't a substantial difference.

Ideally my plan was:

Mortgage by end of 2013 (ain't going to happen)

5K tradeline by end of 2013 (did happen, 9K currently on BCP)

I'll take batting .500 when it comes to my annual goals.

TLDR: unless you're gold-plated, there's often more important things than reward maximization.

Confused by your mortgage issues...you should qualify with good rates and low PMI as is...or are you not?

Anyway, on topic, I rotate my Freedom and BCE depending on the purchase, however I eat out pretty often, and I recently got an offer for Citi TY Preferred, so I've been considering that, but haven't done much research.  Also, I spend too much at Lowe's so obviously have the Lowe's card for the 5% off.

Completely missed this post, my apologies; the mortgage issues in my case stem from 2 things:

- IRS Tax Lien which just got resolved last month

- Home prices for anywhere I actually want to live moving out of reach

I can probably sort it, just need to take one of the volume of Santa Monica gigs paying enough money that I'll suck up the commute, find a lender that'll do a 41% or 45% jumbo loan on 20% down, and just crawl into whatever I can figuring that unless Prop 13 changes or we completely anhillate the national mortgage slate (removing the tax credit as an example), eventually it's going to be worth more than what I purchased it at.

California real estate is a complete mess from a consumer perspective; people are incredibly disincentivized financially to ever move and the cost of homes are such that even ones buying at current prices (and therefore similar property tax values) it's harder financially to do multiple steps like elsewhere as the fees on origination wind up being 3-4x higher since the prices are 3-4x higher.  Just eats away at cash reserves for people in the 10-20% HHI bracket.

if I were a decade younger I'd simply just pickup and move as my professional skillset is emminently portable to any major metropolian area (and probably only reduce my income 20-30k even) and pickup a 4000 square foot house for a song, whereas here it'd be 1500-1800 at best for way more money.

        
Message 47 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I guess if your goal is reward-maximization-per-transaction, and you have enough cards, there shouldn't be an everyday card!  Using a default is a sign that you have failed to get the "good" card for that transaction....   

Or that you're playing a different game than rewards Smiley Happy.

Vis a vis my everyday card being the BCP as I'm ruthlessly chasing 3X CLI's while trying to stay ultra clean for my Hail Mary mortgage next year.  I'm almost assuredly stuck in the jumbo space come summer/fall next year, and since everything is going to be playing "let's make a deal" with a couple of loan officers / underwriters to get qualified in that area, I'll happily sacrifice marginal rewards where there isn't a substantial difference.

Ideally my plan was:

Mortgage by end of 2013 (ain't going to happen)

5K tradeline by end of 2013 (did happen, 9K currently on BCP)

I'll take batting .500 when it comes to my annual goals.

TLDR: unless you're gold-plated, there's often more important things than reward maximization.

Confused by your mortgage issues...you should qualify with good rates and low PMI as is...or are you not?

Anyway, on topic, I rotate my Freedom and BCE depending on the purchase, however I eat out pretty often, and I recently got an offer for Citi TY Preferred, so I've been considering that, but haven't done much research.  Also, I spend too much at Lowe's so obviously have the Lowe's card for the 5% off.

Completely missed this post, my apologies; the mortgage issues in my case stem from 2 things:

- IRS Tax Lien which just got resolved last month

- Home prices for anywhere I actually want to live moving out of reach

I can probably sort it, just need to take one of the volume of Santa Monica gigs paying enough money that I'll suck up the commute, find a lender that'll do a 41% or 45% jumbo loan on 20% down, and just crawl into whatever I can figuring that unless Prop 13 changes or we completely anhillate the national mortgage slate (removing the tax credit as an example), eventually it's going to be worth more than what I purchased it at.

California real estate is a complete mess from a consumer perspective; people are incredibly disincentivized financially to ever move and the cost of homes are such that even ones buying at current prices (and therefore similar property tax values) it's harder financially to do multiple steps like elsewhere as the fees on origination wind up being 3-4x higher since the prices are 3-4x higher.  Just eats away at cash reserves for people in the 10-20% HHI bracket.

if I were a decade younger I'd simply just pickup and move as my professional skillset is emminently portable to any major metropolian area (and probably only reduce my income 20-30k even) and pickup a 4000 square foot house for a song, whereas here it'd be 1500-1800 at best for way more money.

Yes, CA housing madness.   I was amazed at the starting salaries my daughter's classmates were getting at Facebook and Google, $100K + $100K bonus, which seems a lot for a 22 year old.   But then they have to find a place to live!  (With Google/Facebook, the free food helps cut down costs, but not enough)

And Rev: I agree with your point about other goals, but I did start off my post with: "I guess if your goal is reward-maximization-per-transaction" which I think indicates I was talking about the sub-case!

Message 48 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, CA housing madness.   I was amazed at the starting salaries my daughter's classmates were getting at Facebook and Google, $100K + $100K bonus, which seems a lot for a 22 year old.   But then they have to find a place to live!  (With Google/Facebook, the free food helps cut down costs, but not enough)

And Rev: I agree with your point about other goals, but I did start off my post with: "I guess if your goal is reward-maximization-per-transaction" which I think indicates I was talking about the sub-case!

You did, and admittedly I'm struggling to remember whether I was directing my post to you or more generally.  Last few weeks have been a blurry wasteland, time passing like I was back in my heavy drinking days seemingly.  Ah well, taking a break soon enough, my apologies regardless.

        
Message 49 of 52
brcamacho
Regular Contributor

NFCU - GoRewards

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.